PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, and 2 quick questions

mrv8q
01-21-2005, 11:16 PM
First, thanks to the listers who took considerable time to respond to my first post; your experience and generosity is much appreciated!

My timetable for "firing her up" is much closer, but two quick questions: What is the correct battery code, 24 or 27... I'm getting conflicting advice from various catalogs. (I've got no battery for comparison, and they both seem awfully big). Secondly, what is the correct size for the rubber fuel line; that is, between the metal line to the carbs... SAE 3/16 seems too small, and SAE 1/4 seems too big... is there such a thing as metric size?

I'm so much closer to firing her up, thanks in advance to all that respond! Best, Kevin

Winston
01-22-2005, 12:32 PM
FWIW..... I use an 8.0mm fuel line, not intended for fuel injection systems.

Geo Hahn
01-22-2005, 10:56 PM
I use 1/4" and think Triumph did too. Whatever they used they just pushed it on w/o clamps -- that will probably not work well. I use those springy wire clamps they sell at Ace and such places. When using a screw clamp I prefer the ones made for fuel injection rather than the band type.

I use a battery that is 10" wide... the originals would have been much wider. It is smaller than the battery box so I put a block of wood on each side to help it stay put. Also use a piece of wood behind it to bring it forward a bit and fill the space a little better...
https://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/MVC-596F.JPG

mrv8q
01-23-2005, 12:34 AM
Wow, what a beautiful engine bay! Thanks for the info! I picked up some 7mm line, which seems to work, and a generic battery at Costco. I'll use your idea of bracing both sides of the battery, as I don't have a battery tiedown yet... Thanks!

Bugeye58
01-23-2005, 05:07 AM
Interesting. If 1/4" hose was too big, why did the larger 7mm work?
Jeff