PDA

View Full Version : TR6 green plug wires, '74 Tr6

wingsandwheels
07-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Anyone have any experience with the "Powertune" green ignition wires carried by BPNW and a few others?

I had a set of the TRF greens a few years ago (when the originals gave up the ghost after 20+ years), but they were somewhat disappointing. I replaced them with a Bosch set and they are fine, but are a bit of an eyesore on an otherwise low mileage, original car.

Any other leads on green wires with the proper 90dg connectors? Thanks all.

Rgds, W

rlich8
07-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Did they originally come with green wires? I realize my question isn't much help to you, ha-ha, so sorry! But, I just like building my database in my head :smile:

wingsandwheels
07-20-2011, 08:49 AM
yes, the TR6's came with green spark plug leads and green radiator hoses. Rgds, w

vettedog72
07-20-2011, 03:44 PM
The '74 originals had green insulation and the wires were stranded with a continual twist. The strands were copper with what appeared to be white metal plating (silver?)

wingsandwheels
07-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Really? Sounds like tinned copper..I would have thought that they were carbon core suppression wires by then...interesting.

In any event, the BPNW green wires have the straight disti connectors like the early cars. I may just get a Kingsborne black set....aside from the color they look the part.

w

TR3driver
07-20-2011, 04:46 PM
What was wrong with the TRF set?

wingsandwheels
07-20-2011, 08:02 PM
The connectors were a bit weak. I didn't think they held on to the plugs all that well after I took them off a few times....I was chasing a low RPM stumble at the time. I guess they are OK, certainly not OEM quality, but adequate if you aren't removing them much. I may even consider another set and use them w/ an original Lucas cap for the one or two shows and switch to the Bosch for any real driving. I like TRF though, they've done a lot to support the hobby...so I'll probably give them another shot.