PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3a block with crack

AEW
07-18-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm wondering if this crack is the end of the line of just a characteristic of the old sand cast process? I'm picking out a block to reassemble this winter. I noticed it is a "B" casting, though when I look at other bare blocks there doesn't seem to be a difference. "B" castings seem to have run from upper TS30k range to only low TS 42k maybe? After that I see "C" casting codes. Or am I lost?

AEW
07-18-2011, 07:39 PM
I think I can rephrase my question above and hope to find one of you that has solved this before...

1. Is a crack in the mid-block web casting of significance? (It is after all a wet sleeve block)
2. Is there a known problem with the "B" casting on TR3 engines? (I can choose another block to start on if it is)

thanks

TexasKnucklehead
07-18-2011, 07:52 PM
TS50903 is the only block I've been intimate with. This picture shows a B casted into the block. The middle web is between wet liners, and some distance under the head. I don't see a crack there presenting a problem -unless the block was somehow distorted. As far as issues with B's, my engine seems to be running fine, although it is awaiting a completed body to be driven.

TR4nut
07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Not an expert, but I believe with a cracked web like that you may have the makings of a very good boat anchor. At least I've not seen much in terms of advice like ignore it as it is normal. I'd be worried you might have issues with blown gaskets and such if there is movement from that crack.

AEW
07-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Well thanks for the thoughts. I understand the point about head gasket contact along the lifters side. If it moves as it heat and cools it may leak. If the casting is not suspicious (or just made that way) then mine must just be an unlucky example. I can use another block.

thanks

Hap Waldrop
07-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Indy cylinder Head in Indianapolis is maybe the best cast iron welder I ever seen, their work is unbelievable, their do cast iron weld repairs to block and heads and he has repaired a few race heads for me that I would have swore could not be repaired , even totally reconstructed a combustion chamber in a 948 race head, the repair was beyond belief, it was so well done. I'm sure they could in their sleep repair this better than new, but they are far from being cheap, so I guess it come down to if another block can be had for less money with the machine work to get it ready vs repairing, of course shipping a block is never cheap.