PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Looked at a TR8 in Michigan today

Got_All_4
07-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Thought this was going to be the one. Had a bank, notary and BMV set up to buy this 8 and get home. A 4 hour drive and what a piece of excrement. I ask the owner if this is a good runner and he said it was mechanically sound to drive back to Ohio. Broken header, no brake and turn signals, no hazard, engine missed terribly and no power. Fenders were rusted out.
Tried to do something to get it running better so I pulled the distributor cap and replaced the rotor with a better used one then pulled the sparking plugs to check them. Did a compression check while they were out and wallah. 2nd cylinder front the front of the motor on the left bank had 25 lbs less compression. Shot some oil in the cylinder and the compression came up and after the 3rd check it went back down. Bad rings I'm sure. Put it back together and it ran a little better. I said no thanks (bummer) and would have even a hard time giving him 3k for it which he was shocked and still didn't think there was anything wrong with the car.
If anyone was planning to look at this car on Craigs List don't bother unless you want a large rebuild project.
I think the TR8 bug bit me today. There is something special about driving a TR8 over a 7. Just seems more solid, stable and responsive.

WedgeWorks
07-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Sounds like a car that could be used for a conversion, $500.00 to $1000.00 MAX! Glad you dove in to it and really looked hard. There are more TR8 convertibles out there just take your time.

07-17-2011, 01:09 PM
I said no thanks (bummer) and would have even a hard time giving him 3k for it which he was shocked and still didn't think there was anything wrong with the car.

Either that or knew it all along. There is a 6 on CL in Mobile that is the same way. Total POS with nice paint. I pointed everything out and they guy didn't budge. The ad is still the same. No surprise, he sells new cars for a living.

Got_All_4
07-18-2011, 04:25 PM
They are in denial. He said the upgrades made it worth it.