PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Two-speed wipers, TR4

Alan_Myers
01-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have the two-speed wiper system in their TR4, as was optionally offered? It's listed, but not illustrated in my parts manual. So I don't know if the motor/gearbox looks like the one speed version, if it was also used in other cars or how it was switched on the dash. Any info would be appreciated!

Alan

Webb Sledge
01-15-2005, 11:51 PM
I don't have a TR4, but I'm having a similar problem on my 6. The original 2 speed switch broke when the PO pushed a little to hard on it, sending it through the dash. Now it's got a "Clear Hooters" switch in it and it only runs on high (better than only running on low!). If anyone knows where I can find a normal, 2 speed variant, I'd appreciate it.

piman
01-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Hello all,
my Triumph 2.5 saloon originally had a single speed wiper set up. I obtained a two speed wiper from a later model and used that. It needed the rack tubing of the later model as the fitting was changed slightly. You will also need the two speed switch. The two speed wiper is a three brush design and high and low speed is selected by switching to a different brush configuration. (Which is, Webb, why you only have one speed)

Alec

01-16-2005, 12:07 PM
The OE wiper switch in my TR6 was no longer rebuildable so I had to resort to an aftermarket switch that required some effort to adapt to my dash (thank G-D for Humbleweld). Made in Taiwan. Even though it shows to have high and low positions, it only works on high. Went through three of 'em before Moss said "enough!". I use a lot of Rain-X.

Bill

trrdster2000
01-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Alan, the 4's with the two speed have the same push pull switch as the single speed but the difference being it is a two position pull. Bill, did you try wiring your TR6 switch a little different, I recall mine was not doing what it was surpose too until I got the wiring correct by using a multimeter. Wayne

RobT
01-17-2005, 04:04 PM
My TR250 has the two-speed wipers. The switch is not the original "rocker" hooters switch but (I believe) the TR6 equivelent. I had to fuss with the wiring. As I remember, for high speed you energize one of the motor feild windings, and for slow speed, you energize both. I had to install a diode between two of the terminals to get the replacement switch to do this. It required a bit of trial and error (the colour coding on the wires was gone) to figure it out. Probably there is something on the web?

Rob.

Geo Hahn
01-18-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...As I remember, for high speed you energize one of the motor feild windings, and for slow speed, you energize both...

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case it would seem possible to use a TR3 or TR4 headlamp switch (readily available) if the push-pull action is desired. These cars do not use any relays and since headlamps draw more current than a wiper motor so the switch should be stout enough.

[ QUOTE ]
It required a bit of trial and error (the colour coding on the wires was gone) to figure it out. Probably there is something on the web?

[/ QUOTE ]

The TR4A wiring diagrams that can be accessed thru this site include a 2-speed wiper:

https://www.britishv8.org/techhome.htm

Webb Sledge
01-18-2005, 10:22 PM
The problem with the Clear Hooters switch is that it only has 2 positions: on and off. You can wire it so that they run all the time, with one position low and one high though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Stinky
01-19-2005, 03:22 AM
My Clear Hooters wiper switch has "Off", "High", and "Low".