PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Grill decisions

CJD
06-07-2011, 10:19 PM
OK, time to choose a grill for the old TR3. The choice is the original, or to re-chrome the aftermarket one the car came with.

https://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/cjdurant/_DSC4236.jpg

The chrome runs about the same price as the repro original, so price is not a factor. So what do you guys think?

mrv8q
06-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Personally, I love your current grill with your gold car, although a 3/4 shot of the car would help me finalize my choice,,,,,

TR3driver
06-07-2011, 11:19 PM
I like the 'Vista' grille too.

vivdownunder
06-07-2011, 11:33 PM
If you decide on a new original style grille, suggest you buy with an agreement to return if it doesn't fit. Quite a few aprons have been repaired with the grille opening too narrow (top to bottom), so the grille bulges in or out.

Your aftermarket slatted grille looks to have been inspired by the Triumph Beta prototype - a widened TR3A body on a TR4 frame. A practical design for hotter areas to allow more airflow into the radiator.

The decision is really down to personal choice - whether you prefer it more original, or with the novelty value of a rare aftermarket accessory.

Viv.

HerronScott
06-08-2011, 06:27 AM
It would be a tough decision for me. I like the original but I think this is one aftermarket part that looks good as well and one which you don't see very often.

Let us know what you decide!

Scott

tdskip
06-08-2011, 07:45 AM
That is a nice looking TR3 - so hard to make the wrong choice.

Market will probably prefer original if resale is every a consideration.

TR4nut
06-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Well, if you decide to go back to a stock grill, I'll be happy to buy that old rusty one off you for the original price! :laugh:

martx-5
06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Well, if you decide to go back to a stock grill, I'll be happy to buy that old rusty one off you for the original price! :laugh:

Just for the heck of it, I went to one of those inflation calculators to adjust for today's dollar...using 1960 as the base year, the result came to $282.92. :cheers:

Edit: It doesn't look like you'd be able to use the crank. :hammer:

sp53
06-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Heck John I love the grill you have; I do not even consider it after market. Randalís add suggested to see the dealer for one. The original wide mouth grills were a step down and cheaper and were problematic like Viv suggested. There is an old add somewhere that shows how to squeeze the grill bars closer to let more air in to help cool the engine on the original grills. Remember tr3s have problematic cooling systems. In fact, I will bet that the ďaftermarketĒ one was designed not for looks but for utilitarian reasons. After seeing the quality work you do, the Chinese one you would get will fly back into the box and not even require postage.

vagt6
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Original. :yesnod:

YMMV.

TFB
06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
unusuall,nice looking,period correct,and you already have it.I like the look and it would be an easy decision for me to keep,but Im building a driver.

Haave Fun
Tom

TR3driver
06-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Randalís add suggested to see the dealer for one.
But was that a Triumph dealer, or an AMCO dealer?

karls59tr
06-08-2011, 01:07 PM
If you decide to go with a new stock looking grill I will give you $100 for the one you have. I've been looking for one. Karl

Silverghost
06-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Getting an NOS or repop original grill is doable but when was the last time you saw one of the ones you have in place now available?

Rechrome the current one! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Andrew Mace
06-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Randalís add suggested to see the dealer for one.
But was that a Triumph dealer, or an AMCO dealer? Yes.

:devilgrin:

Good luck finding either one....

p.s. I vote "Vista" grille!

CJD
06-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Well...it sounds like I'll be making a trip to the chrome shop! Thanks for helping with the decision...

Here is a quarter shot of the car when we got it last year:

https://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/cjdurant/_DSC4225.jpg

And here is the mouth as it looks today:

https://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/cjdurant/_DSC6478.jpg

Gotta get back to work...thanks again to all!

John

Don Elliott
06-08-2011, 06:12 PM
After I bashed in the front grille, bumper and valance on my 1958 TR3A in the Rallye de L'Echo in 1963, I ran the TR without a grille till 1972. Then I stored it for 15 years. During the restoration from 1987 to 1990, I realised that the bodyman had not made the mouth opening high enough in 1963 to take a new grille. So with a small hydraulic jack and pieces of wood, we re-formed the mouth to accept a new grille. It fits perfectly and looks great for the last 21 years.

Andrew Mace
06-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Oooo...with all that beautiful silver paint, I think I'd be sorely tempted to paint the insides of the grille opening area with a black to make that Vista grille really "float"! Just a thought.... :wink:

61TR3A
06-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Your Vista grille gives your car somewhat of an Aston-Martin-ish look which is quite appealing. I just bought an original-style chromed grille and hope it'll fit, as my original-style, dull aluminum grille is ill-fitting, probably due to poor body work sometime in the car's past.

Gordon_Dedrick
06-08-2011, 08:17 PM
+1 for rechrome on the one you have. It looks terrific!
Gordon

CJD
06-08-2011, 08:59 PM
So with a small hydraulic jack and pieces of wood, we re-formed the mouth to accept a new grille. It fits perfectly and looks great for the last 21 years.

Say "Aaaaahh"!! That was a great idea. I have spent hours with a crow bar...hydraulics...that's the way to do it!!

I may have to go for the black mouth...good idea...!

John

Tr3aguy
06-08-2011, 09:26 PM
John....sell me that beat looking grill and I will send you a NOS one for nothing......Take the deal.....No really...re chrome that thing it will look great and you will be the only TR3 at the show with it.

Andrew Mace
06-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I may have to go for the black mouth...good idea...! Thanks! But now that I've stuck my foot in your (car's) mouth.... :wink:

Here's a thought: for the moment, shine up the Vista grille as best you can and mount it in the apron. Take a couple of photos with it in place, then play around in PhotoShop or the like to see if you can darken the area behind the grille to see if it's really the effect you want. I'd hate to take the blame if you sprayed that area black and then didn't like the effect! :blush:

Silverghost
06-08-2011, 10:58 PM
WAIT....what happened to the gold????? I REALLY liked that version!! Either way, VERY nice car!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

TR3driver
06-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Here's a thought: for the moment, shine up the Vista grille as best you can
If you want to shine it up, I strongly recommend using some fine brass wool, and a spray bottle with about 4 parts water to 1 part PPG DX579 "Metal Prep". I got this tip from Fred Thomas, and in just a few seconds it turned this

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/DX579/DSCF0002.jpg

into this

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/DX579/DSCF0003.jpg

Obviously I didn't take that nearly as far as it could go, it was just a quick (literally less than a minute) demonstration. My windshield frame didn't look much better, and I have literally had people ask me who rechromed it!

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/TS13571L/DSCF0011.jpg

CJD
06-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Well, I don't think the grill is in as rough shape as your valve covers! I'll give it a good once over with the wool and see how it comes out. By the way...I like the look of those wheels/tires. Is it just the offset on the wheels, or are the tires larger too? They have a much more "substantial" look to them when they fill the wells.

Don't worry Andrew...the wife always gets the last say on colors. I won't do anything she doesn't give the OK for!! Anyway, I ended up with plenty of extra paint on this job, so it can alway go back to silver.

John

Darrell_Walker
06-09-2011, 08:51 AM
the wife always gets the last say on colors. I won't do anything she doesn't give the OK for!! Anyway, I ended up with plenty of extra paint on this job, so it can alway go back to silver.

You could also mock it up with some black butcher paper.

luke44
06-09-2011, 09:12 AM
... So with a small hydraulic jack and pieces of wood, we re-formed the mouth to accept a new grille. It fits perfectly and looks great for the last 21 years.

Don - your library of pictures never ceases to amaze me. :smile: