PDA

View Full Version : THIS CAR IS AWESOME

rlich8
06-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Wow,

I must say, I'm really having too much fun with my TR4A. Bought it back in March, and just finally got it ready to drive within the past few days. It's like a tractor in a sports car. I think I get more looks in this than I do in my XKE. No one should be allowed to have this much fun!!!

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me out with the little issues I have been having.

:smile:

DNK
06-03-2011, 09:12 AM
More looks than an XKE, no offense at the 4 as it is a nice ride. Seriously?

Mickey Richaud
06-03-2011, 09:13 AM
It's like a tractor in a sports car. :smile:

Well, there's a perfectly good reason for that! :wink:

Glad you're having fun!

:cheers:
Mickey

rlich8
06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys!!!!

More looks than an XKE, no offense at the 4 as it is a nice ride. Seriously?

Not kidding. Maybe people in my area don't understand the English car heirarchy, but hey, I can't complain. I love my Triumph and Jag equally, for different reasons. The Jag is refined, fast, invigorating. The TR is basic, funky, tractorlike, and just flat out fun! :smile:

Moseso
06-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Not having one, I don't know what it would be like to take out an XKE -- but I KNOW I can't take out my TR3 and not get waves and smiles everywhere I go. Keep on ridin' that TR -- and waving and smiling!

06-03-2011, 09:01 PM
O.K, what is up w/ the tractor reference I keep hearing?

Mickey Richaud
06-03-2011, 09:18 PM
O.K, what is up w/ the tractor reference I keep hearing?

Ferguson Tractor

Andrew Mace
06-03-2011, 10:14 PM
The wet-liner four cylinder was originally designed for the Standard Vanguard saloon in the late 1940s and then quickly adapted to the Ferguson tractor being assembled by Standard Motor Company. With some strengthening and other development, it was then adapted for the new TR2 of 1953. All in all, it was one remarkably flexible engine!

Silverghost
06-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Wow,

I must say, I'm really having too much fun with my TR4A. Bought it back in March, and just finally got it ready to drive within the past few days. It's like a tractor in a sports car. I think I get more looks in this than I do in my XKE. No one should be allowed to have this much fun!!!

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me out with the little issues I have been having.

Where in Chicago? Our cars should have a play date!! :laugh:

glemon
06-04-2011, 12:43 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head about the general public and the brit car hierarchy, I think MGBs, Box Sprite/Midget, and TR6s and Spitfires are common enough, made recently enough that at least some portion of the public recognizes them to some extent. TR3-4, Austin Healeys, XKE's, MGAs etc. are all pretty exotic and unknown to the vast majority of the public. The TR4 styling did not recieve great reviews when new, but the funky shape with the various curves is at least very interesting visually, and it seems to appeal a little more to the Harley and American car types a little more, probably because it is sort of bluff and masculine, rather than curvy and more feline like the Jag or Spit.

I also think the TR4/4A is one of the rare cars that the additional flash and chrome of the later model makes it look better than the early one, but they are both really nice.

I got lots of comments on my (years ago) BRG 4A, and lots on my bright red TR250, which I have to admit is a little flashy. I think I get more from guys on the TR250, and more of an even mix on the AH100 I had before it, or even a little more from the women on the Healey, which was a little more classic and understated.

And lastly, I agree, a 4A is really a blast to zip around in.

Geo Hahn
06-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Having both I can say that ladies prefer the look of the TR3 over the TR4.

Of course the age of the ladies in question are either over 60 or under 10.

06-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Of course the age of the ladies in question are either over 60 or under 10.

That's usually the ones that find me attractive too.

Well, maybe just the over 60 ones.

Moseso
06-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Having both I can say that ladies prefer the look of the TR3 over the TR4.
Never had a 4, so I don't know, but my experience with three 3s is that women seem to infinitely prefer looking at them to riding in them. :frown:

rlich8
06-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Wow,

North Side! I live near Damen/Lincoln/Irving Park...

Have car, have gas, will travel! :laugh:

rlich8
06-04-2011, 04:33 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head about the general public and the brit car hierarchy, I think MGBs, Box Sprite/Midget, and TR6s and Spitfires are common enough, made recently enough that at least some portion of the public recognizes them to some extent. TR3-4, Austin Healeys, XKE's, MGAs etc. are all pretty exotic and unknown to the vast majority of the public. The TR4 styling did not recieve great reviews when new, but the funky shape with the various curves is at least very interesting visually, and it seems to appeal a little more to the Harley and American car types a little more, probably because it is sort of bluff and masculine, rather than curvy and more feline like the Jag or Spit.

I also think the TR4/4A is one of the rare cars that the additional flash and chrome of the later model makes it look better than the early one, but they are both really nice.

I got lots of comments on my (years ago) BRG 4A, and lots on my bright red TR250, which I have to admit is a little flashy. I think I get more from guys on the TR250, and more of an even mix on the AH100 I had before it, or even a little more from the women on the Healey, which was a little more classic and understated.

And lastly, I agree, a 4A is really a blast to zip around in.

They're all fun, in their own ways, but I have a special weakness in my heart for the 4A.

The car is un-ashamedly British in every way, it reeks of 1960's England. I feel like I am driving a tractor sports car as I have said. It appeals to a lot of people... Ahhh I wish I was out driving it! Can't though, it's raining and it isn't charging!

Geo Hahn
06-04-2011, 05:34 PM
...women seem to infinitely prefer looking at them to riding in them.

Can't say that I blame them. The few times that I have been a passenger in my TR3 I found the experience to be more 'disturbing' than 'fun'.

Silverghost
06-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Wow,

North Side! I live near Damen/Lincoln/Irving Park...

Have car, have gas, will travel! :laugh:

Irving Park and Central! You have a PM... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

KVH
06-05-2011, 06:45 PM
I love my two TR4As. And feel guilty admitting I have two. I got my fix, and I'm under control. I swear it.

In fact, I've been wanting to post of a picture of my red one because it's a twin to the one glemon has! Right down to the hood stripe.

There is something about that design. So, I could see getting carried away with the comparisons.

As for "tractor," isn't it a "Massey Ferguson."

And as for ladies turning heads for TR3s, we're not supposed to admit that we notice any of that. Before long we'll judge our cars by that standard, and it's wrong. Anyone with a muscle car from the '60s or a classy LBC would place far more value on heads being turned if they were from the bad girls we all chased and dreamed of back then. That meant something and still might, theoretically speaking. But that's not why I go out for long drives. Generally. In my more buff and masculine TR4A.

TR3driver
06-05-2011, 07:14 PM
As for "tractor," isn't it a "Massey Ferguson."
Nope, just Ferguson. That was several years before Massey &amp; Ferguson merged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]In my more buff and masculine TR4A. [/QUOTE]
Phooey. Real sports cars don't have roll-up windows!
:devilgrin:

However, I will agree with Geo on the 'disturbing' part. My high school crush basically wouldn't even speak to me again, after riding in "my" TR3A. She said it took her almost two weeks to get all the tangles out of her hair.

lbcs_r_fun
06-07-2011, 03:57 AM
Nice!

rlich8
06-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Got her charging again! So later this week when it cools down I will be taking her out again. She wasn't charging, because the voltage @ the battery was not quite 12v...

Figured the reg was out of spec, but just to be safe, I pulled the gen and the reg and took them to my favorite German electrician friend, and he checked them both out for me! We set the regulator and upon reinstallation, I'll be good to go!! :smile:

Dino_V
06-14-2011, 12:31 PM
These cars are fun to drive and conversation starters everywhere.
Looks like we have a few more Chicago people, nice to see some local british roadster owners.

06-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Anyone with a muscle car from the '60s or a classy LBC would place far more value on heads being turned if they were from the bad girls we all chased and dreamed of back then.

Dude, that's all I got. They aint no fun, trust me. It's the good ones that are hard to find. Took me 34 years.

Well, bad's fun for a while, then it gets bad!

TR6BobNF
06-14-2011, 10:05 PM
I had a '67 TR4A IRS for 12 years: 1972 - 1984 and I truly loved it and early on its Wow factor was very high with everybody. It got a lot of looks and comments and drew admirers every time I parked it. But the really awesome Wow factor for me was a buddy who used to drive his sister's E-Type all the time lost a chrome headlight rim and asked if I had a spare; I did. (TR4 chrome headlight rim fits Jag) When asked what I wanted for it I said, "the keys to the E-Type". Geez, he agreed and said something to the effect, "drive it like you stole it"! So I did! I left the TR4A with him and took the Jag. This was around '73 or '74, not exactly sure and I was 22 - 23 yrs old and the way I drove that Jag was borderline criminal but boy it sure was fun. I will never forget that ride. I had driven Jags before because two friends had rescued a couple of mid-sixties E-Types and I was permitted to drive them - carefully. I drove the wheels off Loretta's E-Type and still recall the scary power and distinctive exhaust note of that big twin-cam 6, especially compared to my "tractor-powered" TR4A. I had it for long enough to drive it hard up and down through the gears a number of times and hard through the turns. It actually set my knees to shaking after I got out of it. I had never experienced anything like that in my life (or since for that matter) and my crowd had some pretty impressive cars including American muscle back in those days. That car was Awesome! I don't expect I'll ever get my own E-Type and sure don't expect anybody kind enough to let me drive theirs to let me power shift it but at least I have the memory of having done it. Sadly, the car was totalled a couple of years later.