PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft bearings replacement

PATR8
05-30-2011, 10:20 PM
I do not remember how to do this. Some suggestions

TomMull
05-31-2011, 06:15 AM
It usually just requires a proper puller and press although I'm not sure of any idiosyncrasies of the TR8. Those may not be easy to come by so if your block is going to the machine shop anyway, it's probably best left to them, in my opinion.
Tom

WedgeWorks
05-31-2011, 07:54 AM
Best thing to do is have a machine shop put them in. I know a few years back the Rover Cam bearings were NLA and all there was left was BOP 215 cam bearings that had less oil groves in the bearings, especially on the 1st bearing but still worked fine. I did a set years ago myself and it worked out fine but after a few days of sleepless nights after the engine started I felt fine, engine ran great but in the end would have had a shop do it with the right tools.

PATR8
05-31-2011, 12:24 PM
I sent it off to the machine shop, I looked upmy receipts and that is what I did last time too. It was ten years ago, no wonder I dont remember doing it.

WedgeWorks
05-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Which part did you do the bearings yourself and no sleep or sending it to the machine shop? I hope the machine shop.

PATR8
05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I sent it all to the machine shop.......

I also had them clean the block, then I wanted them to polish the journals on the Crank but they said it needed turned.. I was able to get a stock replacement cheaper than new bearings and a turned crank...