PDA

View Full Version : Towing a bugeye

Rut
05-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before and I did an advanced search before posting this question. I would like to add a tow 'bracket' to my bugeye and thought the original front bumper mounts might work well. I want to install a front tilt kit as well. Has anyone done this and can they share the pros and cons of a set-up like this as well as towing in general? I don't want to use a tow dolly or trailor and will be towing about 250 miles one way. Thanks, Rut

smaceng
05-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Rut,
I'm sure it can be done, but the biggest problem I see is that the two bolt holes on each side for the bumper brackets are about the only holes available to mount a tow bar, and that is where the tilt bonnet mounts to. Are you going to mount the bonnet later, or will it be on when you are towing? While you may not want to use a tow dolly, or a trailer, that is what I would recommend. Also, depends if this is a regular trip, or just one-off. Cheers, Sorry I can't be of much help here.
Scott in CA

05-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Check with Lee Creek

Rut
05-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks, I was hoping to have a bracket made that rotates with the tilt assembly. My main concern is parking my trailor or dolly. I'll be towing or transporting the bugeye to the coast and the condo association does not allow storage of either in the parking lot or the boat storage yard. I would have to rent an off site location for storage and it just complicates matters. My thought was to take either an existing design of a front tilt and add a bracket that bolts to the tilt mechanism or have one designed from scratch. The assembly could look similar to a 'nerf' bar, but with holes for a custom tow bar. Thoughts?
Thanks, Rut

JP_Furble
05-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Rut,
My Bugeye has both a forward tilt bonnet and a tow bar bracket. However, the tow bar mounts to a bracket welded beneath the two main front frame rails not the tilt brackets. Send me a PM and I'll see if I can round up some pictures for you if you like.

JPF

Rut
05-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks, PM sent.

JPSmit
05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
You will need to disconnect the drive shaft to tow (but you probably knew that)

regularman
05-30-2011, 06:56 PM
They make some tow dolleys that you can pull pins on and fold up some and not take as much space. I have seen them but I can't give you a brand name. The other option is take a regular tow dolley and make yourself some rope hoists in the garage and hoist it up to the ceiling and park the spridget in under it with plenty of room. I have actually been contemplating something like this for fitting two spridgets in one garage bay.

Rut
05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
JP, is that the case? I'm looking for a simple way to do this and the drive shaft doesn't do it for me. If I use a dolly and take the wrath of the communal xxx, can I put it under the back wheels? It might be easier to put a hydraulic tilt bed on my PU. Any ideas?
Thanks, Rut

JPSmit
05-30-2011, 08:33 PM
JP, is that the case? I'm looking for a simple way to do this and the drive shaft doesn't do it for me. If I use a dolly and take the wrath of the communal xxx, can I put it under the back wheels? It might be easier to put a hydraulic tilt bed on my PU. Any ideas?
Thanks, Rut

Yes, there isn't enough oil moving around the gearbox though the shaft is turning. You could tow it backwards I suppose - though not with wire wheels. You might think about renting a Uhaul dolly one way - would be a little more expensive but a lot more convenient.

Or, find someone who live close by who could store the trailer/dolly.

I think a tilt bed would be awesome, but only because having a transporter is a dream.

Rut
05-30-2011, 09:18 PM
JP, this would be a regular thing and I want it as simple as possible. We travel back and forth about every 3 to 4 weeks and I'm looking for a simple solution. Would a different make of rear end work better while towing? It's a pita having to deal with a communal living situation and the regulations that go along with it. I guess an aluminum tow dolly could go in the back of the PU if it had to after I get there. Any thoughts outside the box?
Thanks again, Rut

rlwhitetr3b
05-30-2011, 10:16 PM
If he has wire wheels, will he have a problem towing it backwards on the dolly?
Will the knockoffs on the front wheels come loose?

jlaird
05-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Tis not the rear end is the tranny. Unbolt the shaft at the rear end (four bolts) tie the shaft up with a coathanger, and tow away.

Rut
05-31-2011, 06:39 AM
No wire wheels on this one. Jack, I'm trying to avoid things like that. I want to figure out a way to hook it up and go and avoid the storage issues a trailer or dolly present. If you can't tow it without disconnecting the drive shaft it may just stay home.
Thanks, Rut

JPSmit
05-31-2011, 06:40 AM
Tis not the rear end is the tranny. Unbolt the shaft at the rear end (four bolts) tie the shaft up with a coathanger, and tow away.

Jack makes a good point, the simplest and cheapest solution would be a tow bar, and either 2 ramps or 2 jackstands at either end of the trip.

The simplest and not quite cheapest would be a tow bar and a quick trip to a transmission shop at each end of the trip.

leecreek
05-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Just took some pictures on the setup here. Still have some over spray to paint. lol

leecreek
05-31-2011, 09:50 AM
tow bar for a VW. 1" x2" channel bolted across the front with tabs attached for the bar pins. No tilting the front end with the tow bar attached.

leecreek
05-31-2011, 09:53 AM
And one from the top side.

05-31-2011, 04:31 PM
The brackets were bolted on using the 'Bumper' holes in the front extensions, then the bar was welded to the brackets.

Completely removeable!! :thumbsup:

Steve
:driving:

Rut
05-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Lee, that looks perfect! Can you pull your car without disconnecting the driveshaft? I know that's counter to the advice I've been given and I do want to know if it's possible without causing harm.
Thanks, Rut

Billm
05-31-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't necessarily recommend doing it but I have towed my Sprite with a common rib-case trans several thousand miles and it still runs fine-
There is a spiral groove cut in the output shaft which does supply oil to the bearings then it is towed but several people have said that they have had problems with doing it so I won't recommend it.
BillM

regularman
05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
If you get a datsun5 speed transmission don't tow it across town. It need the input shaft turning or it dies a quick death.

jlaird
05-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Is easy to bolt and unbolt the drive shaft, actually you can reach under from the rear and do it.

But you can not tow without undoing it if you like your tranny.

Do as I do and get one of these.

jlaird
05-31-2011, 10:11 PM
neat?

Rut
06-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Jack, I'm trailer rich with a car hauler and a smaller 12 x 6 light weight, but the issue is storage. I don't want to rent a place at the beach just to stow a trailer every 3 weeks or so and the condo will not allow one on site. I need a simple way to get the car from Tuscaloosa to Orange Beach and back with as little complication as possible and that includes connecting the drive shaft. With kids and grandkids I honestly don't have the time to mess with the car while I'm there. Boats and sand take up most of my time!
Thanks, Rut

jlaird
06-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Ok time for you to make run to find a home for a trailer in Orange beach. Now don't ya know some one has a spot that they would be happy to have a trailer park in from time to time summers.

Used car lots, behind a store, school parking lot. <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Hmmm, ask the cops for ideas.
Check with the Chamber of Commerence.</span></span>Where there is a will there is a way.