PDA

View Full Version : Swapping exhaust systems on a Sprite

twas_brillig
05-30-2011, 03:19 AM
We've got a 948 cc bug-eye with the stock exhaust manifold and exhaust piping (ie from the pipe-to-manifold clamp out to the muffler). I've also got the larger diameter exhaust piping from some later cars.
Question: can anyone advise if I can swap in the later piping and keep the same exhaust manifold and clamp?
thanks
Doug

jlaird
05-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Why not. Surely will not hurt the engine.

twas_brillig
05-30-2011, 05:58 PM
More curious about the mechanical connection: will it work? since the exhaust pipes are different diameters (eg. 948 to 1275), I'm not sure if the clamping system will work, and was hoping someone might have fooled with this in the past.
Worst case (me being lazy): I'll fish out another 948 manifold and trial fit it to one of the other pipes, outside of the car.
This all started because an even smaller diameter chromed pipe was welded on to the wee muffler years ago, and the muffler is welded on as well. Figured it might be easier to swap out the whole thing than cut and saw to get the existing muffler/tail pipe off.
Doug

jlaird
05-30-2011, 07:59 PM
The BE 948 and the 1050 take the clamp type exhaust manifold and pipe. The 1275 takes the three bolt one.

Now if the question is can you weld a clamp one on a 1275 pipe, of course.

Miss Agatha is running a 1050 manifold and a 948 pipe and muffler.

Gesh, letting all my secrets out.