PDA

View Full Version : Police stopped me and my Sprite today

Trevor Jessie
05-25-2011, 10:10 AM
... I'd like to say he pulled me over for driving XXX mph on a deserted road. However, it was actually because he had seen my go by several times while I was out running errands, and I am using "antique" tags (the ones that are for classic cars for exhibition use only). I politely told him that I have a long trip planned for a show in WI and I needed to put some test miles on the car before heading out. He let me go and reminded me that the car is not to be used for daily transportation. I think he was bored.

:frown:

tomshobby
05-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Hope that guy is at the donut shop when Shirley and I are in the area in mid-July with our TR6.

Trevor Jessie
05-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Are you going to be in the area for a car event, or just vacationing?

SilentUnicorn
05-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Were you trying to emulate Kyle?

https://www.wxii12.com/r/28010834/detail.html

m

aeronca65t
05-25-2011, 12:24 PM
We have similar rules for cars with antique plates here in New Jersey. But most cops are pretty relaxed about this. I don't use my MGB all that much, but once in while I'll drive it to the store or to work just to "excersize" it. Never a problem.

One interesting situation: normal antique plates in NJ allow the owner to drive the car only during daylight (and a max of 2000 miles/year). But virtually every car at our local cruise night has antique plates...meaning everyone drives home in the dark (after all, it is a cruise "night").

We even have a nearby cruise night run by the local cops.

I guess this is a "don't ask-don't tell" situation. :wink:

NJ also has a second tier of antique plates.
Like the normal type, it has a mileage limit. But you are allowed to use the car after dark or for any pupose (not just for car shows). But the car must be brought to an NJ state inspection station once a year to verify no excess mileage (they don't check anything else).

drooartz
05-25-2011, 12:25 PM
We are visible, aren't we. I pulled into my garage a couple weeks ago in the MGB and when I got out of my car there was an officer in my driveway. He had seen my car around town and ran the plates (I legally run year-of-manufacture plates) and his system said I didn't have insurance -- which I do. Showed him my card and he happily went on his way.

We do stand out, though, now don't we.

tomshobby
05-25-2011, 12:32 PM
We are planning a trip to drive the tail and Blue Ridge Pkwy. We are planning on leaving here Wed evening or Thursday and so would be in Louisville Friday or Saturday, 15th or 16th. Then on to Ft Knox, The KY rail museum, Lincoln's birthplace, and Mammoth Cave. Before heading for the Smokies. If we were to stop at a show we would only do it as spectators.

Unfortunately we will not be at the 50th but we have been wanting to do this trip for several years and this is the only opportunity we have had.

TOC
05-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Our state has limitations, and they tried this year to start charging annual fees on antique plates due to the abuse of the priviledge.
I have read in the old car magazines about several midwest states contemplating the same.
Wisconsin seems to be anti-old-car more than most. I remember several years ago they tried to pass a law that all cars had to have windscreen wipers that did not slow down when accelerating.....specifically aimed at vacuum wiper cars.
But, our state does not require insurance (or seat belts, unless installed) on old cars. Or didn't last I checked.

Trevor Jessie
05-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Ft. Knox has changed since the Armored division has been moved. They even took a bunch of stuff out of the Patton museum. Rail Museum is still OK. Mammoth cave is good, but be sure and order your tour tickets in advance (they have reduced the number of tours and they frequently sell out in the summer). Driving in the smokys is always fun. Tail of the Dragon is nice, but the cherohala is more relaxing and scenic. Blue Ridge is also scenic ... but so long... Have fun!

bthompson
05-25-2011, 02:36 PM
More reasons to love living in the Carolinas. :banana: Scenic drives, and no persnickety Fun Police picking on classic owners. :driving:

tomshobby
05-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Ft. Knox has changed since the Armored division has been moved. They even took a bunch of stuff out of the Patton museum. Rail Museum is still OK. Mammoth cave is good, but be sure and order your tour tickets in advance (they have reduced the number of tours and they frequently sell out in the summer). Driving in the smokys is always fun. Tail of the Dragon is nice, but the cherohala is more relaxing and scenic. Blue Ridge is also scenic ... but so long... Have fun!

Haven't been there since 1966 so for me it is a trip down memory lane and for Shirley a chance to see places she has only heard about. Actually would not stop at Ft Knox but it is on our way and she could see the vault. Will probably stop at Churchill Downs too. Last time they let me up on the roof to shoot some film, probably not this time though.

I have heard a lot about Cherohala and am thinking more about it.
Going to have plenty of curves on this trip anyway.

I will follow your advice about the tickets for Mammoth Cave.

And we have plenty of time but may not stay on the pkwy all the way.

tomshobby
05-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I can't get into the cause of the old car threat here but I can tell you the problem has been removed.

TOC
05-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Hopefully that involved voting one anti-car representative out of office?
I read the Hemmings Old Cars magazine, and it is always got stuff on restrictive legislation, and Wisconsin always seems to be right up there.
Glad it's taken care of, as one thing I have seen, other states watch what is done nation-wide and try it themselves if successful.

jlaird
05-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Come on down to Florida, we like old cars here.

drooartz
05-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Utah is pretty friendly as well. They just recently changed the Antique Plate law to be 25 years old or older (was 35 I think). Only reason I don't run them is I've got year-of-manufacture plates on the MG and a personalized plate on the Tunebug. Just means I have to do an annual safety inspection. Lights, brakes, that sort of thing. Minor, really.

nomad
05-25-2011, 08:24 PM
In the 60's I could run my original British plates on my TC in So Dak as long as they were registered and licence plate fee payed. No more, only antique or regular plates now. Insurance companys are in charge as well. Used to only have to show bank proof of 30K liability.

Suggest to Tom the old Nanchess Trace highway If it fits in to his direction as well!

Kurt.

HealeyRick
05-25-2011, 09:00 PM
... I'd like to say he pulled me over for driving XXX mph on a deserted road. However, it was actually because he had seen my go by several times while I was out running errands, and I am using "antique" tags (the ones that are for classic cars for exhibition use only). I politely told him that I have a long trip planned for a show in WI and I needed to put some test miles on the car before heading out. He let me go and reminded me that the car is not to be used for daily transportation. I think he was bored.

:frown:

Nice guy! He could probably have gigged (cop talk for written you up) you for violating the conditions of your plates. We get issued antique or YOM plates under certain conditions. You violate those conditions at your peril. Maybe you're willing to pay the fine if you're caught, but the real problem is if you get involved in an accident. Your insurance company is going to look for a way to bail out and if you're operating outside the terms of your plates, it's all on you. How deep are your pockets?

Trevor Jessie
05-25-2011, 09:18 PM
I didn't say I wasn't in the wrong. However, I think his time would have been better spent watching for more serious violations. I probably only put about 200 miles on my car per year that is not travel to club events and car shows. I'm not the guy using antique plates to avoid paying car taxes on my daily vehicle. I was only driving it today because it had been sitting for almost a month and I do not like to let them sit that long for maintenance reasons.

HealeyRick
05-26-2011, 06:07 AM
I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that the risks of your not being covered by your insurance company in an accident involving personal injury to another could run into hundreds of thousands of dollars. It depends on how your policy is written.

198686d
05-26-2011, 11:51 AM
It is so reassuring that the police and legislators are looking out for us. Windshield wipers? Running errands? I feel safer, just knowing their concern.

TOC
05-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Windscreen wipers are a puzzle. How do the street rodders get away with little chrome or aluminium cones where the arms should be in daily use?

In our state, funny, you are NOT required to have a windscreen OR speedometer, but you ARE required to have wipers. Go figure.

RickB
05-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Any idea if that means 1, 2 or 3 wipers?
My red Sprite has only 1 working (drivers side).

TOC
05-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Swept area.
Short in height, three short wipers. Tall windscreen, one big one that goes both sides.
To give you an idea, my 1950 Ford F1 pickup came with one wiper, and a plug on the passenger side, except for units sold in Washington, which required the second wiper.

15 or more years ago, the WSP decided to enforce that law, and all of us had to come up with right pivots and arms that are no longer in production by many decades.
I found two partials, built one, works okay, meets the requirement.

You have one, it's a problem if you've got a PITA WSP occifer.

RickB
05-26-2011, 04:21 PM
I have the second arm, in the boot.
They require me to have it, I have it...

:laugh:

JPSmit
05-26-2011, 04:33 PM
I have the second arm, in the boot.
They require me to have it, I have it...

:laugh:

Now there's a statement you don't want taken out of context :whistle: