PDA

View Full Version : How long to rewire a Bugeye

tdskip
05-22-2011, 08:21 AM
I mean there isn't <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> much too it, but I am wondering how long that took you guys for those that have done it? I'd be using a new harness rather than making one.

Thanks!

Trevor Jessie
05-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Saturday afternoon/evening.

ralph_s
05-22-2011, 08:39 AM
I'd be very interested in this as I'll start mine in about 1 month. Especially the things to avoid or tips learned the hard way...

drooartz
05-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Took me a weekend, but it was the first project I had ever done on the Tunebug and I work really slow when I'm not sure what I'm doing -- which is most of the time. :smile:

I used a new harness from British Wiring. A writeup of my work on the Tunebug's wiring:

https://www.drooartz.com/index.php?page=32

Trevor Jessie
05-22-2011, 09:01 AM
One trick is to "cut-out" the old harness cut the wire going to each connection leaving about 1 or 2 inches of the original wires. This will allow you to see the color that was mounted there previously, and should you need to splice because of mismatched connectors the bit is already there.

bugedd
05-22-2011, 10:22 AM
It took me about 5 hours and a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada

ichthos
05-22-2011, 10:33 AM
I am not sure how long mine took. The only time I have ever installed a new wiring harness was in my TR6. One problem with my Bugeye is that wiring harness had long been removed. I was surprised how obvious most of it was when I actually laid out the wiring. I still ended up needing help from forum members. You may want to ask what others did to speed up the process and protect your new wires.
Kevin

ralph_s
05-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks all. Several positives here....like Sierra Nevada and also got my harness from British Wiring. Should be a piece of cake.........lol

Sarastro
05-23-2011, 04:24 PM
If you drink Steelhead Pale Ale, it should only take 9 or 10 bottles--much more efficient!

I'll continue working on this to measure the relative efficiency of Spridget work with various beers. Tough job, but it really needs to be done.

regularman
05-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Took me about a week all told. I added all the extra devices that I wanted and put in 6 or 8 more switches, add an ammeter and voltmeter, Put in some extra fuse holders for future use, converted from generator to alternator. Ran some extra grounds. Got rid of most of the old bullet connectors in place of stakon bolted connectors or good soldered joints if it was tighter than that.
You might as well figure on anything else you might want to add while you are doing it and get it done right the first time. Go ahead and fix all the problems that you know are going to re-occur with original equipment so it can be dependable.
That way any new electrical problems will be just that, one new problem, not one of several.

bugedd
05-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Steelhead does work well, but being in Chico, land of Sierra Nevada Brewing (about a mile from my house), I have to be loyal.

Speaking of, time for a beer!

ralph_s
05-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Hummmm, might have to do a Yuengling comparison test since I'm in PA.

tdskip
05-23-2011, 09:41 PM
If I tried drinking while I did this I'd had the wipers going off when I hit the horn. Oh wait, it does that now already...

Thanks guys.

smaceng
05-24-2011, 01:05 AM
If anyone is interested, I rewired my BE to add fuses and relays, and I put it all under the dash...sort of out of the way. If you would like a schematic, drop me a PM. I modified a regular harness. I also hid the right side rear harness behind the sheet metal so it doesn't press out the side panels.
Scott in CA

tdskip
05-24-2011, 10:03 AM
I'd love to take a look see Scott - will send you a PM

regularman
05-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Don't y'all know anything? This is the beer for some serious British car wiring.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HmOrL1_X9jM/TBk7Ov4mV8I/AAAAAAAAAPA/FFsdUEKmXE4/s1600/Old_Speckled_Hen.jpg