PDA

View Full Version : One Of Those Nights

DougF
05-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Took the TR6 over to a friend's house to fix my brake lights and help him with his new TR6. After several hours of brake lights working/not working/working with tail lights/not working with tail lights and inconsistant readings with the multimeter, it was decided that there was a short. But where?
The right lamp was working consistantly, but the left one wasn't, so we decided it wasn't in the rear end.
My friend pulled up my drivers side carpet to chase the wire back, and found a 3/4" puncture hole in my floor. I hit something on the road last year and thought I must have damaged the rocker panel but got the floor instead. The puncture caused the cut metal to bend around pinning the harness under it and cutting the insulation. What are the chances?
Finally, at 1:30 AM we started tinkering with his wipers. When I got in the car to leave, I had no brakes. No fluid loss from the reservoir. Hopefully, they just need bled...will find out in the morning.

DrEntropy
05-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Woof. Total sympathy, Doug. Though it was many years ago, as I read of your deviant electron behavior, this experience immediately came to mind: My first MGB rebuild/refurb, it needed floor pans but we had no money for "official" ones so fabricated 'em. Body work all done, car painted, it came time to reconnect all the lights, etc. Testing tail-lights and signals the thing seemed posessed. Right indicator on, left would blink. Right one on, the left brakelight would blink... brake pedal would activate the wrong (t-sig) bulbs. First came suspicion of a bad ground. Nope. A few hours of tail chasing with a meter and we were befuddled. Then we followed the harness under the car... I had drilled/pop-riveted the replacement flooring, putting a pop-rivet into the harness! Dad had a great laugh over that. I was just embarrassed.

Lesson learned, 1970. :shocked:

tdskip
05-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Did Doc just bark?

Anyway keep us posted Doug and I hope the brake issue is something simple.

DougF
05-21-2011, 04:25 PM
It's a master cylinder. Ordered a rebuild kit from TRF and will pick it up on Monday.
Kicking around buying a new rear harness. Still the original. Replaced the front harness last summer.

Brosky
05-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Doug, make sure there was no bleed back into the booster that can hurt the diaphragm in that unit.