PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 luggage rack - repair help

ichthos
05-19-2011, 09:47 AM
I am not sure how, but one of the aluminum parts to the back bar on my luggage rack cracked. The odd thing was that it happened with nothing on the back of the car. Does anyone know how to repair this or someone I could send it to for repair, or is the cost just too prohibitive? I have included a pic of the piece. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Kevin

cheseroo
05-19-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't believe they make that rack anymore. When I got my 6, the boot was drilled for a rack but no rack was installed. Apparently the rack was cut to fit by the installer and so there is no "standard" size for it. I ended up buying a couple racks of this style off ebay in order to get the exact length/width needed to make the rack line up with the holes. I think I have another complete rack less feet and some parts. Take some width measurements with specific descriptions or drawing of exactly what point(s) you measured and I'll see if what I have will fit.

ichthos
05-19-2011, 10:10 AM
All I need is the aluminum piece that holds that back bar. Like you, I got this off of Ebay. The piece is about 3 1/2" tall if you measure perpendicular from the base. Here is a pic of the one still together if that helps.

Marvin Gruber
05-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Kevin
Let me check out my parts, I may have one.

Marv

ichthos
05-19-2011, 04:20 PM
That would be great if either of you have one. I do not know how to weld aluminum, and I am guessing it would be spendy to have done.
Kevin

Brosky
05-20-2011, 06:14 AM
Those parts are no longer available anywhere but used on ebay or craigslist. I have a boxes of spares that had some of these hard to find of pieces in for $60 a year ago and a couple guys said I was crazy. I may have been, but I've helped three others save their racks. I don't know if I have one of these left, but I can look when I get home later today.

KSIS
05-20-2011, 09:24 AM
I took the rack off on my TR6 because I was missing a mounting bracket. If no one else comes up with one let me know.

Ken

ichthos
05-20-2011, 08:54 PM
No one has come up with the part yet, Paul. Ken, I see the mounting brackets on Ebay all the time. I have never seen the part I need though.
Kevin

hondo402000
05-21-2011, 06:20 AM
if all else fails find a piece of al bar stock and make your own, it would be a tedious job but with a few tools, grinder you could make something very close and polish it out and no one would know and since al is soft it would go quickly

Hondo

KSIS
05-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I wont be putting the rack back on my car. i would more than happy to send it to you. For the low low price of shipping...(and a small donation to the site)...

ichthos
05-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Was anyone able to find that part? If not, I guess I will be searching Ebay and car shows a while. In any case, thanks for your help. By the way, any ideas what I could have done to break the one piece?
Kevin

Marvin Gruber
05-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Kevin
Sorry been tied up with other stuff. I'll try to remember to look today.

Marv

Marvin Gruber
05-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Kevin
I have a good bracket. Send me a PM with your home email address and I will send you a picture of it.

Marv

71MKIV
05-24-2011, 07:17 PM
I will be able to help too should all else fail.