PDA

View Full Version : the manifolds are off!

Tipsy
05-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I started the removal of the intake and exhaust manifolds on my 76 1500 midget tonight. With help from the forum search I found great info that helped me. Otherwise I would have struggled a lot longer. This is a simple replacement of the gasket, but since I have the side of the head open is there anything else I can do? I am looking in both the intake and exhaust ports with a light and it looks very black and carboned up. Can I clean this somehow without removing the head? I know it runs a bit rich and I rebuilt the carb to help with that, but my plugs always seem to be about the proper color. Maybe this is just the result of many years of short trips around town by the previous owner?
Appreciate any advice you all can give!
Thanks!
Jeff

drooartz
05-18-2011, 09:13 PM
but since I have the side of the head open is there anything else I can do?
Don't know the 1500, but be careful with this question. Last time I asked it a simple radiator flush turned into a 3-year mechanical rebuild, new engine, transmission, brakes... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

bwm1974
05-18-2011, 10:38 PM
I might suggest taking the intake and exhaust manifolds to a machine shop and having them planed. or at least checking the mating surfaces with a level. I think I paid about $25 each last year to have them planed. I also painted the exhaust manifold with VHT high heat paint and it's held up well and looks nice after 1600 miles.