PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A Starter Shim?

TR4nut
05-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Has anyone seen a factory writeup or tech bulletin on when to use shims for the starter motor? I'm hooking up a later style starter to my 3A, now with a bolt on ring gear. Have a few shims sitting around but I've not seen anything as far as pre-measuring and using shims to fit. Is it just something to try if you have interference issues when you try to start?

TR3driver
05-18-2011, 09:14 AM
With the later starter, the shims move the starter gear closer to the ring gear.

Seems like I have seen a note somewhere about using a shim if the early starter drags on the flywheel; but shims would not help that problem with the later starter.

And I've apparently never had an engine or starter that needed a shim. I have had a starter drag a few times, but it always turned out to be a problem with the starter.

TR4nut
05-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Yep, I understand how the later start pulls in - but what throws me a little is that the TR4 parts book lists shims even though the bomb starter was gone by then. Perhaps some strange holdover from adapting a TR3 catalog?

TR3driver
05-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Certainly wouldn't be the first mistake in a parts book ... I came across a factory note last night, saying that the part number given for a front apron was actually an oil filter :laugh:

But the SPC does say "as req'd" (meaning "as required"), so maybe it was just never required? Certainly wouldn't hurt to have it listed. Or maybe there were a few blocks that were machined too thin (reworked perhaps), and so the shim was required for better engagement.

Sorry that doesn't help with your question. My approach (with both early and late starters) has been to leave out the shim, until I find some reason to use it. In 35 years or so, I've not found a reason yet.