PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4A Door Check Strap Spring Clip Replacement

Stinger
05-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Is it possible to replace the door check strap Spring Clip without replacing the rivets? Thanks

Rrbbeerrttoo
05-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Stinger,
No, I have no answer for you...but I will add this comment as someone may show us the way:
When I restored my TR4a it seemed impossible to figure out how to replace the door straps , even when I had the car 100% disassembled. However, there has to be a way!!

JerryVV
05-23-2011, 12:50 PM
While we are discussing this is there a best way to peen the rivit. My body man replaced both of my straps. It looks like he needed to bend some metal on the back side of the A post as there is some bending that took place there. So that may be the trick to installing new ones. Cannot guess why this is so when new they didn't need to do any bending. Perhaps repo parts are enough different as to require this or somehow they went in a different way......like before the post was welded to the body. Only guessing.
JVV

Stinger
05-24-2011, 06:33 PM
My straps are ok its just that one of the spring clips is broken. It looks like it is attached by two rivets. I have ordered a replacement clip and will report back on how I replaced it. Im not sure how you would peen the strap rivet but if the rivet is soft enough you may be able to use a C clamp or something similar to flatten it out.

dklawson
05-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Is the TR4 check strap different than on other TRs? On the cars I have worked on there is a rivet holding the strap to the front of the door. The strap passes through a plate on the body tub at the front of the door opening. The two spring clips are riveted to the front end of the strap.

When I have replaced straps, I have drilled out the rivet at the door so the new strap could be fitted. When I put the new strap on I replace the rivet with a 1/4-20 round-head screw and a thin jam nut (with Loctite-721 (red) or -680 (green)). The round-head screw is bigger than the rivet but still small enough to fit through the hole in the body tub.

I have also taken parts of broken check straps and salvaged them. You can drill out the rivet holding the spring clips to the strap and replace them with a 10-32 machine screw and nut.