PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake rebuild process

mightymidget
05-13-2011, 01:26 PM
From what I can figure to do a brake job the 1 7/8" nut(shown in other thread) needs to be removed so you can get that stuff out of the way. Is that how brake jobs are done on the rears of the Spidget.

Since I am going to the the Brake upgrade from Bugeye to later model I looked at the Victoria British cat. and on page 99 there is a complet kit for $89.00 (RBK-200) except for the drums. Is that all that I wiil need other than late model backing plates which I have already.

plus can you build the backing plate off the axle?

Gerard
05-13-2011, 05:41 PM
From what I can figure to do a brake job the 1 7/8" nut(shown in other thread) needs to be removed so you can get that stuff out of the way. Is that how brake jobs are done on the rears of the Spidget.

If you mean removing the hub nut and hub, no, that's not necessary to do the brakes. If you are switching backing plates to change to the later style, then of course, everything needs to come off. You might as well plan on replacing the hub oil seals and cleaning up and inspecting the rear wheel bearings too (or just replace them).

As far as what else you need, in some cases, the e-brake rods are not interchangeable. It depends on the year car from which your replacement parts were sourced. Later cars, esp rubber bumper Midgets had some changes to that area. Earlier cars should be a straight swap.

plus can you build the backing plate off the axle?

If you mean attach the brake stuff, it should not be a problem as long as you are able to access the four mounting bolts on the back late to axle housing when you are done.

mightymidget
05-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks Gerard

Gerard
05-14-2011, 12:49 AM
:cheers:

Sarastro
05-14-2011, 12:25 PM
One additional point--it's a good idea to make sure the seals are OK when you do a rear brake job. You don't want leakage, which could damage your new linings. Unfortunately, this does require removing the hub, but if you have the right socket, it's not that hard.