PDA

View Full Version : TRouble with the TRans tunnel and Speedo Pinion

rlich8
05-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Alright, well, I'm having a heck of a time with the trans tunnel and the speedo pinion.

I got my new trans tunnel and have attached the seal adequately. I absolutely cannot get this thing to go in. It seems as if the speedo drive pinion / right angle drive extends into the cockpit too far.

Are there different lengths of the speedo drive pinion? The car has overdrive, and it did not originally. Perhaps this trans was taken from another car and installed in my 4A and the pinion is too long?

It's the last hurdle to getting my car back together... All help is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

sail
05-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Here is a photo of my 4A to compare, fits fine under the plastic cover although the bolt along that curve is a tuffy w or w/o the speedo drive.
https://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa372/sail8222/speedoangle.jpg

MichaelG
05-13-2011, 07:45 AM
I absolutely cannot get this thing to go in. It seems as if the speedo drive pinion / right angle drive extends into the cockpit too far.

That was my experience several years ago when I installed the OD on my 4A. I cut an access panel and fabricated a cover using the cutout material and aluminum flashing. Also if you have a factory workshop manual, figure 6 on page 2-304 shows a cutout to access the solenoid operating lever. I fabricated this opening and cover as well, and very glad I did as several adjustments were required post install.

rlich8
05-13-2011, 12:56 PM
That picture makes a whole lot more sense to me. My car has a much longer one, it sticks out at least an inch more.

HerronScott
05-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Do you have a picture of yours? Do you have the access plate on that side of the gearbox cover? I thought it was needed to clear the speedometer angle drive as well.

The major vendors sell new ones or you can keep an eye on eBay for used ones. Occassionally they come up at a reasonable price.

Scott