PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding

bugedd
05-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I was thinking of getting one of those Mighty Vac bleeders to do my clutch line, and was wondering if those really work. I do most of my work solo, which is why I ask. But I dont want to go out and get one if it doesn't work well. Any experience with them out there?

drooartz
05-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Didn't have much luck with mine, but that could always be operator error. :smile:

I got a set of speed bleeders off eBay that seem to work really well. Makes it a one man job.

Whitephrog
05-12-2011, 03:15 PM
I bought a Mityvac. Work unsuccessfully for several hours. Had it towed to my local shop and had them do it right.

Sarastro
05-12-2011, 09:37 PM
I tried one, too. Found out that it sucked air in around the bleeder screw, so it let in as much air as it took out. It's a useful tool for many things, but I wouldn't use it for bleeding the clutch or brakes.

I think I'd trust a pressure bleeder more than a vacuum one. At least it won't suck in air.

smaceng
05-13-2011, 12:46 AM
I think I bled my BE new brakes at least a 8 times maybe more, still not right. I used the traditional pump method, suction, bought power bleeders....no better. I then took it to my friend's Honda shop and we power bled it. Used about a quart of fluid, and they feel much better ....and the fronts work now....as it dips down on braking, which it never did before. I think were I went wrong is I put the calipers in dry, and never primed them. There was an air bubble there.
Cheers,
Scott
PS If all goes well, which it can only get better, I will tell you about my 5-speed install!

tomshobby
05-13-2011, 03:30 AM
I used an Eezibleed to do the clutch line in my '74 Midget. It worked great. Almost too fast, I had the bleeder open when I connected it. I connected the Eezibleed and by the time I got around to shut off the bleed screw there was fluid all over. I am talking seconds. So start with the bleeder closed.

I also did mine standing up.

ichthos
05-13-2011, 11:16 AM
I used the Eezibleed, and it made quick work in bleeding my brakes and clutch. I used to spend hours doing this before.
Kevin

DrEntropy
05-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Tom & Kev have it. I used an Eezi-Bleed in a production shop for years with no issues.

LOW pressure to the bottle: 10~15 PSI works fine.