PDA

View Full Version : that sounded like...

TexasKnucklehead
05-09-2011, 10:40 PM
We all have learned the meaning of certain sounds and smells. Usually when we hear it, it triggers a Ďthatís an odd soundí thought. Too often, very shortly after we hear them, we understand exactly what they were. We all know the sound of a trim ring or hub cap as it hits the road along side us. I know the sound a 2Ē long 7/16Ē bolt (with washer) as it hits the road Iím driving on. I know the sound of an air cleaner when only held on by one bolt. I know the sound of a screeching belt from a frozen alternator pulley, and the faint smell of boiling antifreeze. I know the sound of a universal that should have been serviced. I know the sound of a broken tooth off first gear. I know the sound of thunder and the smell of the rain, before it comes. But these are all things Iíve become aware while driving my Triumph.

Today while waxing the TR6 in garage, I heard a new sound. It sounded like that of a can that had become de-pressurized, and wrinkled. Sort of like a can popping from the other side of the garage. I checked the work bench, looked around and decided things needed cleaned up a bit, and started to do so. A few hours later, I smelled something strong. It was coming from the front of the garage. Iím stripping the TR3 tub (when time permits). It is resting on a wooden frame above the finished rolling chassis. Iíve been using the stripper outside for doors and wings and the remaining ľ gallon can was resting in the TR3 trunk. The temperature reached 92 in the garage today. Apparently the can couldnít take the heat or pressure and popped a hole. The hole drained into the trunk Ėwhich needed stripped, but the rust holes in the trunk allowed some to drip onto the muffler and onto the rear round frame cross member. The muffler was only stripped to primer, but my frame was stripped to bare metal. Itís easy enough to fix, but Iíd rather be doing something new, instead of something over again.

The next time I hear a can wrinkling, Iíll look a little closer. I'm sure you've all heard strange sounds and later knew exactly what they were.

mrv8q
05-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Tex, that was a well-written anecdote!

DrEntropy
05-10-2011, 07:33 AM
And a good lesson in chemical stowage. Metal cookie sheets on shelving work. :wink:

Silverghost
05-10-2011, 10:34 AM
And a good lesson in chemical stowage. Metal cookie sheets on shelving work. :wink:

So long as you've eaten the cookies FIRST! And then deny, deny, DENY!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

TR4nut
05-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Sheesh, don't get me thinking of all the chemicals I have in my garage. We haven't even started summer here in Houston yet!