PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Removing TR3 OD transmission

RedTR3
05-09-2011, 06:59 PM
For a shop with the appropriate lifts, is it possible to remove the TR3 OD transmission from underneath (without removing engine) or does it have to be removed from the interior like the books recommend?

Moseso
05-09-2011, 08:10 PM
I think it's easier from the top. Even if the car is up high enough, you would still have to remove the center tunnel, in order to maneuver the trans back from the engine enough to disengage it, and lower it down through the bottom. Plus, the rear end of the motor needs to be supported, either way.

I just took mine out two days ago. The experience is fresh in my mind. Out through the top works well -- and, IMO, would be no harder than out through the bottom.

TR3driver
05-09-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm not convinced it is even possible to remove it from the bottom on a TR3; but I'm quite certain you don't want to do it that way. Out the bottom is the recommended procedure on a Stag, and it's a bear of a job compared to going through the interior.

For one thing, you will have to remove the radiator, so the fan doesn't hit it when you tip the engine down so the transmission can slide back and down. On a '3, that means removing the front apron.

Geo Hahn
05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
...I just took mine out two days ago. The experience is fresh in my mind...

I did mine 5 years ago... and the experience is also fresh in my mind. Once you have wrassled the OD box out & in with no outside help the memory stays with you awhile.

I agree, out thru the topside is easiest -- easier still if you remove the steering wheel so it can exit via the drivers side.

TR3driver
05-09-2011, 08:34 PM
I did mine 5 years ago... and the experience is also fresh in my mind. Once you have wrassled the OD box out & in with no outside help the memory stays with you awhile.
Well, your memory is better than mine I guess. I've done it several times, including about 2 years ago when I moved it from TS39781LO to TS13571L; and again a couple of weeks ago when a thrust washer broke. Seems like I always rediscover a few things about how it goes; like I had completely forgotten that removing the rear crossmember is a requirement.

Never thought of removing the steering wheel though. Did you have the seats out?

Marvin Gruber
05-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Remove from inside, about a two hour job. Can't imagine trying to remove it otherwise. The bolts at the back of engine, topside would be a bear to get to without removing trans tunnel. Once the tunnel is out the rest is pretty easy. From underneath, you would have to build some type of engine support or just let it dangle on the throttle rod. Trans mount is lots of fun to remove with trans out. Just think about having eng/trans jacked up high enough to get it out. Nope, from inside. I would rather pull engine and trans out together than try to remove trans from underneath.

Marv