PDA

View Full Version : weber DGV help

bugedd
05-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Another issue with my motor upon putting it back in the car is the Weber DGV seeping fuel. When I pulled things apart about two months ago, I pulled the intake assembly off as one unit and set it aside. The only thing I did to it was changing the fuel feed. Looking at the fuel inlet on mine, there is one nipple that feeds at a 45* angle into the bottom, and its pointed at the motor. Well I didn't like that so a local street rod guy suggested capping that off and drilling/tapping the large bottom plug and putting a nipple in there. Made for a nicer fuel line feed, but does the changing of the fuel inlet cause the carb to overfill or something? It seems like I heard an awful lot of noise when the electric fuel pump was filling up the bowl, more than I have ever heard.

DrEntropy
05-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Could you have gotten some drilling swarf introduced to the needle/seat?

bugedd
05-08-2011, 03:15 PM
No, the plug was pulled when drilled/tapped. Everything should be clean.

TOC
05-08-2011, 07:39 PM
"should be clean" doesn't count.
Leaking or overfilling?
Take a piece of torn paper, wipe the bottom of the threads of your new fuel inlet after making sure you have fuel pressure), and look. If it's wet at ALL, it's leaking.
Sealant works well in that location, just don't get any into the fuel part.
Taps do a good job of threading holes, but not necessarily nice enough to seal fuel.
You need to be VERY careful, good or new tap, and lots of oil, or you get roughness in the threads that won't allow proper sealing.

Is it leaking at the top cover gasket?
Usually if overfilling, you will see fuel dribbling down the throat first.
Electric pump?
Turn it on, air cleaner off, prop the choke open, and look with a sealed electric flashlight (just in case you were thinking of using your Zippo).
If it's not dribbling, probably not a high fuel level.
When they leak from high fuel level, the fuel drops to the butterfly/shaft, pools, and runs out the shaft ends.

bugedd
05-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Electric fuel pump, and I noticed the base gasket was wet, and it dripped down from there on the car. I'll pop off the air filter tomorrow and run the pump and try to see anything in the carb and post what I find.

60bug
05-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Hi, please let me know as I'm considering making the same change to my DGV carb, I dont like the way the fuel line is routed so close to the engine out of the carb. Did you end up picking up the new bugeye body in Arnold?

bugedd
05-09-2011, 10:46 AM
No, the one in Arnold, supposedly "99% rust free" and straight, was a roach. I put my hand through the inner rear fenders as well as the trunk pan. And every panel was roached. I did end up getting a roller out of Mariposa, still haven't seen it in person yet. A friend who has a resto shop was my eyes on that transaction for me. Can't wait to get down to Lockeford to check it out.