PDA

View Full Version : Side screen top question

GilsTR
05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Regarding a TR3 factory hard top...Is the rear window glass or plexi? IS the correct rear window available? What added value to a car does a restored factory metal hard top bring?
Are all the mounting hardware and rubber sealers available?
Any input...greatly appreciated. Gil NoCal

TR3driver
05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
The original rear window was a molded plexi-like material. Moss Europe has them listed, but I'm not sure about the quality. I've heard that some of the repros are too thin, and don't fit properly.

Some of the mounting hardware was NLA last time I checked, but that may have changed. Ditto the liner and bows.

Dunno how much value it adds, but I find driving with the hardtop to be rather unpleasant : noisy and claustrophobic. I'd rather get wet!

mallard
05-04-2011, 08:20 PM
I think you can still get most of the parts except the drip channel, and the early cantrail strip. Some of the parts not available would be easy to make yourself. You can see the strip in the Moss catalog. Moss UK may have the early strip but I think it was a least $250.00. You can tell the early top from the later one by looking at the drip channel, and if the top has a bow on the inside of the headliner. The early top will have a steel chrome plated drip channel, and will not have the bow on the inside. The drip channel on the later top will be made out of aluminum. The cost to rebuild the top will exceed the extra value you get if you sell the car in my opinion. I'm still rebuilding mine even with the loss. The car was an original hardtop car so that's why I'm doing the top. I also read that the inside of the car is very loud with the hardtop on.

sp53
05-05-2011, 06:20 PM
I am driving mine with a hardtop right now. Personally, I think it is a lot quieter; I can actually hear the radio. It does have hollow sound, however. I bought the top for 100.00 and had it painted for 250.00 and had the back window made a local plastic shop 110.00. I bought it because we have a lot of rain and I like to go on short trips at highway speed. Besides it is a tr3 accessory. Taking it on and off and storing it are what I do not like.
steve

TR3driver
05-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Taking it on and off and storing it are what I do not like.

I built a lift for mine, that made both of those things a lot easier and more pleasant. Just a rope & pulley system, fastened to one of the joints in the garage. 3 simple hooks, bent from flat strap iron, lift the top at each side and under the back.

To take the top off, undo the bolts, lower the rope, install the hooks and raise the rope. For storage, just tie off the rope.

And as they say, installation is the reverse.

I'd offer to take pictures, but there is currently a Stag sitting on 4 jack stands (and with driveline spilling out onto the floor) sitting under the TR3 hardtop. Eventually, I hope to build a similar setup except with a power hoist for the Stag hardtop.