PDA

View Full Version : Wacky wiper

Nelson
04-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Since I put my 62 Sprite back together I have had no occasion to use the wipers. Not that it hasn't rained but I haven't driven it then. I just tried them out in the garage and I found that I have a wacky problem. The passenger side blade goes in the opposite direction of the one on the driver's side. I don't see how it could be connected to the linkage any other way but it clearly must be an incorrect installation. Tomorrow was to be my first car show ever and the forecast is for rain including t-storms. This is very frustrating and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Trevor Jessie
04-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Wheel box on upside down.

Nelson
04-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Not sure what that is. Is it the assembly directly below the passenger side wiper?

Trevor Jessie
04-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Yes.

JPSmit
04-30-2011, 05:01 PM
If you don't have time take off the passenger side to drive it.

Nelson
04-30-2011, 05:14 PM
I just came in from working on it and I have to give my back a break. Putting those two screws back in is a real bear. I've removed the demister air tube but access is a real challenge. My buddy who put in the windshield assembly has apologised to me for putting it in wrong but he did so many things for me that I can't give him a hard time.

I appreciate the help from you guys and look forward to showing "Little Mo" at the Elkhart Lake get together.

Billm
04-30-2011, 08:13 PM
If it works that way why change it?
This way you will have a "unique" car!!!
BillM

jlaird
05-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Just thinking about that is funny. Did we get a video, lol. It could be unique.

Nelson
05-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Sorry, Jack but no video. When the blade spun around and crashed into the cowl I was shocked and not very pleased. The correction process has begun but I took today off to let my back unwind and I'll finish the process tomorrow. Fifty years ago when I was in my twenties this would have been a lot easier.

rossco
05-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Don't mean to be a smart### but maybe test it next time with the blades off? By the way, 50 years ago you would have probably run it without wipers.

Nelson
05-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I checked to see that the attachment points spun and parked before the blades were attached but had no idea that one of them could work backwards. I have even added a variable delay switch for times when there is just a little road mist to deal with and that checked out OK. I hope I never run out of things to learn.

ralph_s
05-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Nelson,
As long as you have an LBC you'll never run out of things to learn/fix/repair/buy/etc........

rossco
05-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Like the idea of the variable speed switch. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Pythias
05-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Notice he said variable DELAY switch, not variable SPEED switch.

The distinction is important, because a variable speed switch is most likely simply a potentiometer, wherein the resistance is varied to the output, meaning limited voltage to the motor. Many motor are "unhappy" with less than full voltage and it will hasten their demise. That's the big deal with Variable Speed Drives, (VFDs)as used in AC motors. They provide full voltage, but vary the current to control the motor speed.

A variable DELAY switch will just a time controlled trigger, but allow full current and voltage to flow.