PDA

View Full Version : About the steering shaft brackets

bnw
04-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Do I tighten all the under dash brackets where the shaft falls, or do I nudge it up a bit to fall into the recess in the dash and tighten it there? Currently if rests about 3/8 to 1/2 inch below the recess in the dash.Are the adjustments both lateral and up and down there for this purpose?

MGTF1250Dave
04-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Aloha,

That sounds about right and is how it is my car. The outer steering column is attached to the steering gear box which is firmly bolted to a fixed mounting on the car's frame. I would tighten the brackets where falls. Nudging the outer steering column upward might cause some binding or stress.

Twosheds
04-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Aloha,

That sounds about right and is how it is my car. The outer steering column is attached to the steering gear box which is firmly bolted to a fixed mounting on the car's frame. I would tighten the brackets where falls. Nudging the outer steering column upward might cause some binding or stress.

The steering unit is bolted to the frame, yes, but it is adjustable up-and-down and side-to-side by loosening the clamp bolts and attaching bolts in oversize holes.

You are correct, you don't want any binding on the shaft, especially a split-column.