PDA

View Full Version : TR 3 Color Combination ?

Russ Austin
01-04-2005, 09:27 PM
OK guys this is what I'm looking for, I'm in the process of restoring a 59 TR3A. I want some possible color combinations; I have a 58 TR3A in Signal Red with Black interior so that is out. Any ideas would be appreciated, just throw it at me. I want something a little different, but original.

Thanks
Russ Austin
58 TR3A
59 TR3A

Mickey Richaud
01-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Hey, Russ -

So, you've acquired another TR? Guess my color choice would be BRG/tan to go with your red one.

But the Winchester Blue with blue sounds good, too.

Tough choice, but a nice dilemma to have!

Mickey

Geo Hahn
01-04-2005, 11:06 PM
If by original you mean a color Standard was using on TR3As in 1959 then the choices are somewhat limited -- per Piggott these would be: Black, Signal Red, BRG, Pale Yellow, Powder Blue, Sebring White & Silverstone Grey.

He goes on to show which interior colors were available for each paint... including a Targo Purple interior for the BRG cars.

OTOH, if 'original' is broadened to include colors used elsewhere in the TR3 range then the possibilities are much greater and include some of my seldom-seen favorites such as Salvador Blue & Apple Green.

VTR Paint Charts: https://www.vtr.org/maintain/paint-charts/

Alan_Myers
01-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Hi,

My favorite interior color used on the TR3 series is "Stone", but I don't know if it was being used in '59.

IMHO, it looks Stone great with any dark green, red, black or white exteriors. I think I've seen too many tan interiors and like that Stone is a little different.

Even though it's non-original, I considered using it in my TR4. But I'll likely stick with the original Midnight Blue (Spa White ext.)

Russ Austin
01-04-2005, 11:47 PM
I have posted this question on various Triumph forums and have received numerous replies about color or colour depending and which side on the pond you’re on. And have narrowed my choices to Silverstone Gray/Red, Winchester Blue/Red or Stone and Salvador Blue/Red. This has been fun so far, deciding on a color combination. The 59 TR3 that I bought is in pieces, the car has no rust and the frame has been finished. So their will be a lot of work before paint. I am looking forward to it.

Thanks everyone for there input.

Russ Austin
58 TR3A
59 TR3A

martx-5
01-05-2005, 09:31 AM
I see that your interior color is leaning toward RED. I was faced with the same dillemma as you, as I'm in the process of a TR3 resto also. The original color was red/black, but after seeing a Black car with red interior, I decided to go that route. I'm trashing a perfectly good interior to change the color, and was having second thoughts about the conversion, when the red interior arrived from the Roadster Factory. When I opened the box, I knew I made the right decision. I guess I'll sell the other interior on e-bay.

Geo Hahn
01-05-2005, 02:21 PM
On second thought -- an interesting approach could be a replica of one of the 1959 Le Mans cars, green with a white nose. Couldn't find an image in a quick Google but you are probably familiar with it. Would also save you the expense of bumpers.

sammyb
01-05-2005, 03:01 PM
I loved my Powder Blue/ Blue/White top '59 -- and I can tell you it got looks EVERYWHERE I took it.

https://www.apexstrategy.com/images/59tr3.jpg

GaryW
01-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Our TR3A was orginally red on black. The red interior faded badly with time. Kinda partial to caramel on black...

MDCanaday
01-09-2005, 01:40 PM
I say forget the limited colors used by the factory. My 63 tr3b got painted royal navy blue with grey interior. It was stunning(cover of Vic Brit several times). I know of a 3 done in dark carmine(maroon)with tan, quite beatiful!! Remember the factroy once used a color so awfull none were ever sold!!!!(chrysantimum!!)
So my advise is make it your own, self pleasing one of a kind (but not PINK)
MD(mad dog)