PDA

View Full Version : Webers don't like backfires

sparkydave
04-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Well, this was interesting. Went to go for a drive this evening, car started normally, but the DGV dropped to slow idle a little too quickly. Tried giving it some gas to keep it from stalling, but it backfired and died. Wouldn't restart, and figured it was flooded from the overwhelming smell of raw gas. Tried again later, but no signs of life. Pulled the fuel pump fuse and tried cranking, then it finally coughed and sputtered for a few seconds. Put the fuel pump fuse back in, and it started, but promptly slowed, coughed, and died again. No restarting it. :frown:

Now I'm starting to think the float valve is not closing, but no idea why it would suddenly be stuck so that it seems to be flooding almost immediately. Opened the air filter to see if I could spot anything in the throat, and saw that the choke was closed completely. Now that doesn't seem normal, but wait! It's not only closed, but jammed shut! :eeek: Houston, we have a problem! Apparently the backfire forced it closed and wedged it shut. Poked it back open, and now she's running normally.

jlaird
04-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I know why, waves hand, I know, I know.

Darn corn oil fuel gumed things up. Clean tank, fuel line, filters and float bowl etc, then fill with fuel without corn oil.

Or, open float bowl and clean float valve and go for it.