PDA

View Full Version : Rattle that won't go away

radibob
04-19-2011, 10:33 AM
So here's the problem. 66 Sprite rebuilt rear end all new parts except those 2 struts that connect the shocks and rear springs.
I am getting a clanking sound every time I hit a bump(both sides). I have tightened everything and still can't figure where it's coming from.
My thought is that these struts are the only things in the rear that I haven't replaced (they are original)so thinking they could be the source.
Anyone had any experience with these things causing noise.

tdskip
04-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Is there any play in them (link arms I believe)?

JPSmit
04-19-2011, 07:34 PM
I did - tightened everything again and it went away, including u-bolts on axle and bolts holding springs on

DrEntropy
04-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Those "uprights" have rubber bushings vulcanized into the ends. That embrittles and disintegrates, can cause your rattle.

The other thing coming to mind is the thru-bolts holding the dampers. Bolts can come loose and allow the damper to shift and cause the noise.

radibob
04-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks, Some good idea to check out this weekend. I betting on the bolts for the shocks.

DrEntropy
04-20-2011, 11:39 AM
If so, you'll see witness marks where the damper body has been moving around against the inner frame bit. Kinda like makin' "angels" in the snow. :wink:

jlaird
04-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Mine was the bolt holding the shock to the car. Same as others I supose.