PDA

View Full Version : Tires for wet conditions

Gary_D
04-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Took Little Red to a track day at Summit Point on Wednesday. Rainy all day and slick track. My current tires are 175/70/13 Sumitomo HRT 200. They preformed great last year at the track and are fantastic when cnditions are dry BUT, as advertized, they are not a wet tire. Spun out in the fisrt 2 sessions and used better judgement and did not go out in the afternoon. Three cars did end up in the walls. Would invite suggestions on tires for wet conditions. Also what is the major difference between wet/dry tires? The tread pattern or the rubber compound?

jlaird
04-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Compound, wet tires are really super soft.

Jim_Gruber
04-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Gary, What sort of wheels are you running those Sumitomo 175/70/13 on? Still with a SWA Car or have wheel wells been modified. Bugsy my '68 Sprite needs to have tires updated and replaced, not from wear but from age. I realize I've had those 155/80/13 tires on Bugsy since 1991. Not 10,000 miles but getting up there in age.

And no generally top stays down all the time and I try to stay out of the rain and wet.

Gary_D
04-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Jim, I bought a set of Super Lites from Hap a couple of years ago. Really like the way they look, even with all the newer styles he is offering now. Little Red is a SA and the tire clearence was tight. When driven hard, I was getting tire rub on the drivers side. I fabricated a pan hard and installed it on the rear. That took care of tire rub and really improved they way the rear end feels.

Jim_Gruber
04-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Thnaks Gary, Those Sumitomo HT 200's are NLA at Tirerack.