PDA

View Full Version : Has this car been discussed before

mightymidget
04-14-2011, 08:26 PM
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Austin-He...=item3366b62387 (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Austin-Healey-FROGEYE-SPRITE-1960-AUSTIN-HEALEY-BUGEYE-SPRITE-FROGEYE-NO-RESERVE-/220766544775?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3366b62387 )

Didn't know anything about this vehicle until I saw this add, Anybody eles ever seen one like this before.

Not a bad copy, check out the links

Sarastro
04-14-2011, 09:19 PM
This has been on ebay before. There's some information about the "Frogeye" in a book I have, called "Sprites and Midgets" (I forget the author; it's not here in my office.)

I'd be interested to hear what other people think of these, and "reproduction" cars in general. I think that this one is nice, but it's not a Sprite. Same story for many of the other kinds--there are AH 3000s, Porsche 356s, Cobras, the BMW Mini, of course, and probably a whole bunch more. While I like the idea of having a Sprite that is more modern and reliable, somehow it just ain't the same. So, I'm torn both ways.

mightymidget
04-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Good point, hadn't really thought of it in that way. After I thought about it, not sure if I would be interested either. I love 356's but would never consider the Fiberglass copy.

drooartz
04-14-2011, 09:56 PM
This company did have the approval of Geoff Healey, so it does have some pedigree. I'd still rather have the original, but I'm sure this one is a hoot to drive anyways.

scoutll
04-14-2011, 10:19 PM
I think this one started off at 14,900 or something like that, with a reserve, the first he listed it.

Morris
04-14-2011, 10:37 PM
If I had that kinda cash I would buy that car in a heart beat.

Jim_Gruber
04-15-2011, 12:38 AM
If I had that kind of cash it would be an original not a copy.

Sarastro
04-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Interesting responses. You know, I can't help but like this Frogeye, while the fake 356s and such leave me cold. I can't really say why I like this one but not the others. I just wish the transmission tunnel were smaller, and the interior looked a bit closer to the real Bugeye.

I've seen, also, a few of the MGTDs built on a VW frame, and they don't even begin to look like a real TD. At least some of the others can be close enough to be convincing, if set up right.

RickB
04-15-2011, 09:15 AM
<span style="font-weight: bold">The MG Midget &amp; Austin Healey Sprite High Performance Manual
By Daniel Stapleton, David Vizard, John Sprinzel </span>

Page 152 (https://books.google.com/books?id=V3STrysMNjQC&amp;lpg=PA152&amp;ots=p6BL_ejWjc&amp;dq= isle%20of%20wight%20frogeye&amp;pg=PA152#v=onepage&amp;q=i sle%20of%20wight%20frogeye&amp;f=false)

The Isle of Wight Frogeye's are coveted by many this side and on the other side of the pond.
This would be a nice fun and fast car - not an original but definitely has a pedigree.

Bayless
04-15-2011, 11:39 AM
At least the exterior looks to be a very faithful reproduction. And that drivetrain would really be nice. The dash is all right but not what I would have done. But that tunnel is really wrong. I can't figure why it is so big unless maybe some structure is inside. I know the Cortina gearbox is not that big.

Trevor Jessie
04-15-2011, 11:43 AM
The entire body is fiberglass, so the tunnel has the additional structure. The original IOW Frogeyes had torsion spring suspension in the rear. The front frame sections were harvested from spridgets.

sqbsprite
04-15-2011, 06:41 PM
I'd be interested to hear what other people think of these, and "reproduction" cars in general. I think that this one is nice, but it's not a Sprite. Same story for many of the other kinds--there are AH 3000s, Porsche 356s, Cobras, the BMW Mini, of course, and probably a whole bunch more. While I like the idea of having a Sprite that is more modern and reliable, somehow it just ain't the same. So, I'm torn both ways.

It's not quite fair to put the BMW Mini in the same category as "kit cars". Anyone who owns one will agree that it is only a Mini by name. It is a real car in its own right. As much as I love and appreciate old cars, the new technology produces performance and handling that is far beyond a stock old car. Not to mention safety.

I'm not talking about highly modified old cars. The original Mini was stuck in time until it was killed. If BMC had survived and it had evolved, it would probably have ended up much worse. Remember the next great Triumph was the TR7. Rover at least started the revival. BMW only took it to reality. No it's not a Mini, it's what the Mini could have been. With that said, I do think they are going too far with the bigger Minis like the Countryman. They should not have used Mini as the brand but kept it as a BMW model.

jlaird
04-15-2011, 06:45 PM
There is room in my garage for that.

04-16-2011, 07:28 AM
If I had that kind of cash it would be an original not a copy.

Yeah, but then you'd be just like the rust of us. :jester:

Jim_Gruber
04-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Kelly I am just like the rest of us. Tinkering away and building Bugsy to suit me.And no while I wish I'd found a suitable BE and I've been negotiating on one for the past 9 months if that issue of missing title could be resolved, I'm very happy to drive my '68 with BE front end and have most of the benefits of owning a BE with a trunk and roll up windows.

04-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Kelly I am just like the rest of us.

Jim, go back and reread, there's a joke in there.

If you bought a steel car, you would be just like the "rust" of us. :jester: