PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Fitting the TR3 Boot Lid

karls59tr
04-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Is there a trick to fitting the boot lid? Seems like I can get it lined up so the gaps are equal but then you have to open it up to tighten the bolts and everything is thrown out of alignment!

CJD
04-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Snug the hinge studs to the boot itself. Then, place the assembly in position. Finally, tighten the forward studs from the back of the cockpit. The rear seat will have to temporarily come out. Once the front studs are tight, then open the boot and tighten the rear studs.

I guess the alternative would be to have someone small lay in the trunk with a wrench!?!

John

Geo Hahn
04-09-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm real sure I have done this a couple of times w/o reaching thru from the cockpit. Probably just had the body side tight and snugged up the boot side by trial & error until it was right.

TR3driver
04-09-2011, 06:28 PM
What I did was tighten both sides just slightly more than finger-tight (enough to start compressing the lock washer but not enough to bottom it). That let me adjust things (with the aid of a rubber mallet) until the fit suited me.

But then, I'm probably not as picky about gaps as some folks are. These were cheap cars originally, which is part of their charm to me. If I wanted gaps exactly even, I'd buy a Jag or Healey.

karls59tr
04-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the info. :-)