PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Crankshaft work

hondo402000
04-08-2011, 09:38 AM
well my engine builder finally got my cranshaft back from the speciality shop after 10 weeks, and he said it would be 4, but here are some pics of the work, and looks like he got about 8 pounds off of it. now the crank gets polished and nitrided and then the engine gets put together hopefully by mid May I will have it back.

hondo402000
04-08-2011, 09:42 AM
another pic

hondo402000
04-08-2011, 09:44 AM
one more, looks like he cores out the rod journal about 1/2 way and when its nitrided it stiffens up the rod end

trrdster2000
04-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Hondo, looks really good and lite. Looking forward to see what you end up with.

Are you going to be in Yadkinville next Saturday. I plan on taking the Roadster, but I have to wait until Monday afternoon to see if the Doctor gives me the OK. Not been able to even wax the new Jag, no vibration, I don't understand it either. Oh, kidney's lost function and blabber went south, real bummer. They hope most will come back and are giving me high hopes.

Hope to see you???

Wayne

Hap Waldrop
04-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Hondo, nice looking crank, I just finished a wedge lightening job on a MGB crank going into a very trick MGB race engine I'm currently building, so I can appreciate the effort. I assuming with the effort to ligten the crank, which alot of street engines builds don't get, you are also porting the head and upping the CR, and using a nice performance cam :smile: I'd like to get my hands on more performacne minded engine build on a TR6 engine as well, this engine suffers from the same thing a MGB engine does, has plenty of torque, but is a slow rever, so anything you can do to lighten the rotating mass is a good thing for these engines, in both stress and performance.

CJD
04-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Just making sure...your crank shop did re-balance...?

John

Hap Waldrop
04-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Just making sure...your crank shop did re-balance...?

John

They have to, no matter how symetrical you got about it, it get the crank badly out of balance, the MGB I did the other day was done very symetrical, and when it fist spun on the balancer itm was 17 grams on the back and 8 grams on the fornt and I've seen number well up into the 20+ grams marks before, you do a bit of grinding and drilling to get them back to balance, depending on where the balancer tells you to take it off. The one I did this week, ended up a amazing .01 on the front and .03 on the rear, most of the time when you see under 1 gram on each side the machine flashes OK, and then you smooth out your work a bit with flap disc on a side grinder, and this normally gets you close to .5 gram mark, you never chase beyond that it will just lead to another imbalance. I started smoothing up my work at 1.5, and 1.6, and just got lucky it got so close and didn't go back of balance, thats not the norm to get so close, but I'll take it :smile:

hondo402000
04-10-2011, 03:14 PM
well I hope and assume my engine guy will balance the crank before he nitrides it, and since I sent him carillo rods, JE pistons, that should take a lot of mass of the rotating assembly plus a fidanza flywheel, to boot, and yes he is porting and polishing the head, zero decking, and getting the CR up to 9.5, boring to 2.7 liters. glad I dont have kids cause I just spent their college fund on my TR6 engine////

Hondo

DNK
04-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Keith, did you use TR pistons, or did you use,what is it, Mazda ones?

CJD
04-10-2011, 06:30 PM
You will know in the bill if he balances. But, if you don't ask, he will likely assume it's already been done by the crank guy. You definitely want it balanced before the nitriding...so definitely need to ask the question.

Brosky
04-10-2011, 06:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]glad I dont have kids cause I just spent their college fund on my TR6 engine[/QUOTE]

I resemble that remark.

But you will be very happy when you are done Tom. You are doing it right.

DNK
04-10-2011, 07:24 PM
M daughters Tuition will run about 175 thousand.

Keith , you should have bought a Ferrari for that

hondo402000
04-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I sent him and email and asked if the crankshaft guy balanced it or would he do that, but you are right make no assumptions. the the piston are 78mm purchased from Cambridge, and are manufactured by JE

Hondo

Hap Waldrop
04-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I sent him and email and asked if the crankshaft guy balanced it or would he do that, but you are right make no assumptions. the the piston are 78mm purchased from Cambridge, and are manufactured by JE

Hondo

Dang, those JE pistons had to travel across the big pond twice to get to you :smile:

FWIW, if any of you ever want JE custom pistons, I do custom JE pistons, and while CM prices are not out of line, mine are very similar, you wouldn't have to pay shipping from the UK for a set of pistons that are made in California to begin with, and we can make them however you want them.

Since you've went to the expense of JE forged pistons, you may want to also look into Total seal rings, I like the second ring gapless set up, I used it for years on many engines, race and street and got incredible ring seal from that set up, not cheap, but a bargain in the long run.

hondo402000
04-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Hey Hap, actually when I ordered them I tried to get them straight from JE but they were a cambridge design and I had to go thru them, but I had them drop shipped straight from Calif. and they also gave me a 10 percent discount on the pistons, after I ordered them I found out that Wishbone classics sells almost the same piston and less expensive, plus he has very nice forged rods at a better price than the carillo rods I bought. Ol well as far as the rings I will just stick with the ones supplied with the JE pistons

Hondo

Hap Waldrop
04-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Hondo, not trying to talk you into anything, but if you were wanting to use the Total Seal gapless ring set up, you can just order the second ring set up, and keep the top compression and oil control rings you have now, we often do that with off the shelf piston sets that already have rings supplied with them.

hondo402000
04-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I ran it past my engine guru, if he likes it thne its a done deal

hondo

hondo402000
04-14-2011, 06:11 AM
My engine guy say no on the gapless rings, not worth it

Hondo

Hap Waldrop
04-14-2011, 06:42 AM
My engine guy say no on the gapless rings, not worth it

Hondo