PDA

View Full Version : austin american

SSS
12-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Anyone here have an Austin American or know where to find information on them? Founds lots of stuff on American Bantams, but nothing on the...er...early 70's (I guess) Austin American. My brother has one, running with spare engine, he got at estate sale and knowing I like old English equip. hinted I might take it off his hands. Anyone know if they are worth messing with. I'm intrigued to see how it was made/worked/ etc. but would have to trailer it across a couple states. I guess am wondering if it is interesting enough to be worth the trouble. Suggestions or direction to sights with info would be appreciated.

aeronca65t
12-30-2004, 07:58 PM
The reason that you are having problems is because you are searching for "Austin American".
There is no such car.
The correct name is "Austin America".
These are decent little Brit sedans but the unusual automatic transmission was pretty fragile (it shared oil with the engine). I would only look at manual transmission versions of this car. Also, the hydroelastic suspension is a neat idea but a service headache. If you look at one and it seems to be riding lower than normal, repairs may be pretty expensive.
Many of these cars were junked after they gave up their 1275 engines to be used in older Minis.

Anyway, here's two decent sites:

https://www.austinamericausa.com/
https://www.tinotopia.com/things/cars/austin_overview.htm

Steve
12-30-2004, 09:09 PM
Nice little cars....the auto tranny was a little on the fragile side though. Rust was the achilles heel of these cars, so if there's no rust you are ahead of the game.

Paul Johnson
12-31-2004, 01:04 AM
I had one of those from new. Great little car with the manual gearbox. Very comfortable, roomy, and much fun to drive.

sunbeammadd
12-31-2004, 07:22 AM
Searching on Austin or Morris 1100 might help too if you're looking for sites outside the US.

Super 7
01-06-2005, 08:53 PM
I like those, especially the MG 1100 version, and the Vanden Plas Princess version. I would also be concerned about the Hydrolastic suspension.