View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4 Bumper hardware

12-30-2004, 04:14 PM
I am mounting the bumpers on my TR4 and was wondering, what are these 'packing pieces' that are mentioned? Is there something I can use in its place or is it quite specific?

..........Thanks, Alex

12-30-2004, 07:38 PM

On the later TR-6's the term 'packing pieces' was used for 1/2" thick steel spacers at the rear bumper as well as the fiber type shim material between the windscreen bracket and the "A" post. If I remember correctly, it was also used for the rope type rear main seal on the crank for the MGA I once owned. Who knows what the actual translation from the King's english really is. . . .

What came off when you dismantled the bumpers mounts???

Geo Hahn
12-31-2004, 01:30 AM
Here's a pic of a packing piece off a TR3A, I think the TR4 version may be round rather than square.


Basically presents a curved surface to the back side of the bumper for a solid fit that does not scratch or distort. I expect a crafty guy with a hand full of washers and a grinder could come up with something suitable.

12-31-2004, 02:37 AM
They are round on the TR4. The workshop manual describes them as a distance piece. Could make them easily enough or buy them, saw them in the moss catalog when I was trying to find out what a packing piece was.

12-31-2004, 12:33 PM
Cheers, thanks for the responses.


12-31-2004, 02:05 PM
Do I absolutely need to use the mounting hardware from TRF, Victoria British, Moss, etc., or can I get a substitute from my local hardware store? I know the bolts are fine thread, but the sizes vary. Any ideas?

Actually, that goes for gearbox cover hardware as well.

.........Cheers, Alex

Geo Hahn
12-31-2004, 02:31 PM
I have just used ordinary hardware store stock for these. You may need to order the 6 chrome bumper bolts though the local store may even have those.