PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Hi Output coil

66 fhc
02-03-2002, 08:03 PM
I'm replacing my original lucas coil with a Lucas Sport coil. I have a luminex ignition system. W

66 fhc
02-03-2002, 08:12 PM
I'll start again. Will this coil work with the Luminex? If so , the old coil has CB and SW instead of + and - on the terminals. If I get this switched I believe I can damage the Luminex system. The new coil has + and - of course. Is the CB side Pos or Neg ?

Basil
02-03-2002, 09:01 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 66 fhc:
I'll start again. Will this coil work with the Luminex? If so , the old coil has CB and SW instead of + and - on the terminals. If I get this switched I believe I can damage the Luminex system. The new coil has + and - of course. Is the CB side Pos or Neg ?<hr></blockquote>

I used to know which was which, but the negative on the new coil goes to the distributor and the positive goes to fuse 7.

66 fhc
02-03-2002, 10:25 PM
Thanks Basil. It will be a couple of days before I can fire it up but I think you're correct. Do you know how much I can increase the plug gap with this coil? It seems like there was a dicussion on this subject not long ago on the forum. images/icons/confused.gif

66 fhc
02-03-2002, 10:36 PM
I just found it in the healey forum .

Jagdreamer
02-03-2002, 11:17 PM
I am 90 percent certain that Basil is correct - Negative of coil goes to the distributor. To add to the equation per your original question, I am fairly certian that the CB terminal on your old coil is equivilant to (-) on the new one and so the CB terminal would have been the one going to the distributor.

JD

nakona
02-04-2002, 12:00 AM
I don't really know anything much about Jags but the CB is going to stand for "contact breaker" (your points) and the SW means "switch"

I don't know if your car is neg or pos ground but whatever it is, it's gonna have a "hot" and a "ground"

The "switch" side of that coil is going to need to be connected to the "hot" side of the battery. Obviously, the ignition switch goes between the "hot" pole of the battery and the SW side of the coil.

Jagdreamer
02-04-2002, 02:47 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nakona:
I don't really know anything much about Jags but the CB is going to stand for "contact breaker" (your points) and the SW means "switch"

I don't know if your car is neg or pos ground but whatever it is, it's gonna have a "hot" and a "ground"

The "switch" side of that coil is going to need to be connected to the "hot" side of the battery. Obviously, the ignition switch goes between the "hot" pole of the battery and the SW side of the coil.<hr></blockquote>

Ah yes! Contact Breaker...as I said, its the one that goes to the Distributor. Thanks for the definition, I always wondered what those designations (CB and SW) meant.

JD

nakona
02-04-2002, 06:54 PM
I can relate.

The markings on a HD generator are F and A.

66 fhc
02-04-2002, 09:50 PM
Fired it up last night and it idled beautifully in the garage. Still have it up on jacks so could'nt take it out for a test spin. Thanks for all the help! graemlins/cheers.gif

koolkat
02-11-2002, 03:10 AM
Here is my weekend experience with my MSD Blaster 40K coil. I've had a high speed miss for a good length of time. Around 5K RPMs in my 4.2L E Type and the car would kinda miss or not be as excited as I wanted it to be. I changed fuel pumps, fuel filters, new NGK Iridium plugs, new MSD 8.5mm wires, had the timing checked to no avile. This week the + lead from the coil came out off the slip on spade connector. I replaced the wire on the road good enough to get home. I later took the time to replace both spade connectors on each of the coils + & - lugs. I decided to wire wrap the new spades with copper wire onto the coil lugs to prevent them from coming off, even though this was not the orginal problem, the + wire came out of the spade connector. After this repair the engine ran a lot smoother, more power and no high speed miss or lack of high speed power. Every thing on the engine power curve improved. I can only think that the + wire was working its way out of the spade connector and not making as good of contact as it now is. So, if you are having some kind of engine problem, do yourself a favour and check out the little things as well as other items that need attention. Cracked vacumn lines will be your worst headache.
KoolKat in Phoenix