PDA

View Full Version : How many cars?

jayhawk
12-29-2004, 11:13 AM
While my kids were visiting we were reminiscing about different cars I've owned and it prompted me to add up all those I've had and turned over. I was amazed! In 43 years of driving (shows my age) I have had 56 cars. Not including my wife's cars, not including my kids' cars.
That's 1.3 cars per year!
Anybody crazier than me? (cars you've actually owned and licensed/titled, and not as a salesperson)

12-29-2004, 11:23 AM
OK, I'm 35, been driving for 18 years, and I've had 11 cars. That works out to .6 cars/year. Sorry, I can't come close to you yet jayhawk, guess I better get on the ball and catch up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyone have the phone number of a good divorce lawyer?

Mickey Richaud
12-29-2004, 11:46 AM
27 (that I can remember!) in 37 years of ownership - 40 years of driving. Of the 27, three were projects that were never quite finished ('59 MGA, '59 Alfa Spyder, and '53 Mercedes 220 sedan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif), so they really shouldn't count.

Mickey

Steve_S
12-29-2004, 02:14 PM
16 years of driving, 8 cars and 3 motorcycles. The sad part is that 5 of those cars have been MGs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MGA Steve
12-29-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In 43 years of driving (shows my age) I have had 56 cars.

[/ QUOTE ]
In 45 years of driving, I have only had 21 cars and trucks and one motorcycle, so you are way ahead of me. But there was a 10-year period from the mid-'70s to the mid-'80s when my kids were young and car build-quality was pretty poor that I only bought a couple of cars. However, I have also owned several of my cars for periods ranging from 17 to 31 years.

I guess it can depend on how long you keep a car or how many acres of parking you have behind your house! Or maybe how long you have been married to the same woman? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

78Z
12-29-2004, 04:34 PM
10 years of driving and 12 cars

jayhawk
12-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Steve-- yep the wife finally gave up- I never used "household" money for the "extra" cars and they came in handy when the driver cars needed maintenance/repairs-- that kept things pretty congenial. Finally also convinced our little suburban city to let me build a 2-car garage behind the house so if they were in the "mighty ugly" stage they could be hidden away. There are still lots of interesting cars available (I've also had 5 MGB's and am on my second TR-3)

Steve_S
12-29-2004, 05:59 PM
I just realized, I've only sold 4 of the 8 cars I've ever owned. And only one of those cars I sold was British. However all the cars I kept are British.

aerog
12-29-2004, 07:18 PM
19 years since I had my first car, in all I've had 8 - still have 3 of those now.

Paul Johnson
12-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Yikes! Looks like 44 years and 46 cars/bikes, or 1.04 per year. To make matters worse, I spent half of those years driving company cars, so most of the owned ones were toys.

Steve
12-29-2004, 08:26 PM
28 in 30 years of driving. Not counting the wife's cars.

jayhawk
12-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Man, you guys are great-- Can't wait to tell my wife and buddies who think cars are just appliances that I'm in good company with people who love cars and can't wait to experience the next one. Sounds like some cars are hard to let go tho.

Dave Russell
12-29-2004, 10:38 PM
In 52 years of driving, I have had 17 cars, 3 RV's, 4 motorcycles, & 3 trucks. We presently have 2 cars, 1 RV, 2 motorcycles, 1 truck & purposely "no room for any more". The cars are 4 & 48 years old, the RV is 5 years old, the truck is 20 years old, & the motorcycles are 35 & 21 years old.
D

Sherlock
12-30-2004, 01:18 AM
Been driving for 11 years... Borrowed dad's car whenever it was available for two years [1984 Olds Cutlass Supreme 4-door, 305 engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif], then nine years ago (spring 1995) - with dad's help - purchased my first car [1987 Chev Cavalier, 2.0 4-cylinder with delightful 5-speed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif], owned it until 11 months ago. Had one car for three months until the clutch gave up [a Chev Beretta, car I'd rather forget], then acquired another car which I'm still driving right now [1990 Plymouth Sundance, could be for sale if an older small station wagon could be tracked down, must be a 5-speed though!].

So that's three cars in 11 years of driving and 9 years or car ownership - nothing in collectors status yet (see signature below).

So as you can see I'm pretty loyal to my stuff... And my good friend here in town purchased his 1981 Camaro at least 12 years ago now (his first car) and he still owns it nd still drives it regularly as his only car...

Bob Claffie
12-30-2004, 01:26 AM
Off the top of my head, about 50 in 50. More interesting ones: 6 Vets, 2 MGB, 3 Spit, Jag XK140, 2 Tiger, 1 Alpine, 1 Cobra replica, 4 corvair, 4 Mustang, 2 AH (large) and a couple dozen regular transportation. Bob Oops, forgot the Elan, Miata should not be in with the regulars either.

Dave Russell
12-30-2004, 02:11 AM
Ahh! The most interesting. Another story. In roughly chronological order:
40 Chevy convertible with 400 inch V8
BN2 Austin Healey with V8
58 Chrysler 300D
New 69 Kawasaki Triple motorcycle
79 Mustang with high pressure turbo & nitrous oxide
85 Mustang V8
New 83 Triumph TSS 8 valve motorcycle
Another BN2 Austin Healey "without V8
D

Jim Weatherford
12-30-2004, 03:22 AM
I'm 57 and I've been driving since I was 14 (ok so I lied to the DMV)I've been driving for 43 years. I've only had 19 cars (Some were pretty unique though,Cobra 260 Slabside, Bentley S1 and a few others), I tend to keep my primary car between 5 & 10 years. I currently have 3 Jensen Healey's and a 2002 GMC 1,500 ExtraCab-Long Bed.

sammyb
12-30-2004, 03:34 AM
In the first 15 years I owned 7 cars, but in the last three I went through an additional 15.

So I'm at 22 in 18 years of driving.

DanZ
12-30-2004, 01:06 PM
19 cars in 30 years of driving.

Bret
12-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Good question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I've "owned" 24 vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs, minivans and motorcycles) in the past 29 years of driving. This list includes company cars and personal vehicles that I used as “daily” drivers and/or sit in my garage & driveway. .

The question of “how many cars” got me thinking about how many vehicles I have ever driven in my life time thus far. That said I’d have to say the number falls well into the hundreds, but I can’t really recall with 100% certainty the exact number. However that’s “only” counting the vehicles of work associates, friends & family. As well as the occasional test drive while car shopping the real number would be much higher.

And that is where I made the big mistake and my head really started to hurt. I tried to figure out how many rental vehicles I've driven over the years. Just taking into account the last three years with my current employer - I figure a conservative estimate would be about 45 - 50 per year over the last three years with my current employer. On average I rent about one vehicle a week and sometimes mutable vehicles depending on how many cities I fly in & out of.

Except for the more exotic and/or luxurious vehicles – I’d say if you can name it - I’ve probably driven it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Cheers,

MGA Steve
12-30-2004, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 57 and I've been driving since I was 14 (ok so I lied to the DMV)I've been driving for 43 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gee, Jim, I got my license when I was 14 and didn't need to lie. We could get a motor scooter license at 13--if we had a "hardship," ie., a paper route that anyone who wanted a motor scooter got to justify a license. We got a motorcycle or car license when we were 14 if we had driver's ed. After I got my license I drove a '51 Chevy to school while still in junior high. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif Steve

adam90009
12-30-2004, 05:41 PM
In my 1 year of driving, I have my 79 MGB, a 77 MGB, an 86 Camaro, and an 88 Cavalier. Even though they are all parts cars(except for one), I think I'm doing pretty good. I'm actually looking for a cheep car to drive around while I work on my MGB.

jayhawk
12-30-2004, 07:48 PM
OK you guys with all the cars-- which was your favorite and what do you want as your next car? (like, really-- meaning what you might really get not just what you'd get if you had a zillion dollars. My favorite of my cars May be my TR3 although a '63 356 B porsche might have been if the it didn't have so much structural work to do. I'd like to have an older 911 some day but it would be hard to give up what I have now.

aerog
12-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Toss up between my Miata and MGB

Basil
12-30-2004, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK you guys with all the cars-- which was your favorite and what do you want as your next car? (like, really-- meaning what you might really get not just what you'd get if you had a zillion dollars. My favorite of my cars May be my TR3 although a '63 356 B porsche might have been if the it didn't have so much structural work to do. I'd like to have an older 911 some day but it would be hard to give up what I have now.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite by far is my 67 Jag Etype. What I'd really like to get someday is a nice, clean Older Jag Sedan, like a Mark II for example. On further consideration, one day, when I'm rich and famous, I'd love to get my hands on a Suffolk SS100 Jag. (https://www.ss100.com/)
Basil

aeronca65t
12-30-2004, 11:34 PM
which was your favorite and what do you want as your next car?

Miata, hands down.
I'd *like* a Bugatti Type 35B....anyone want to trade a well-worn racing Spridget for one?

In the two-year period *before* I got my driver's license, I owned an Austin A40, a Renault Daulphine, a Simca Etoile, a Hillman Minx, an 850 Mini, a SAAB 93, an Auto-Bianchini, a '49 Ford stake truck, a '47 Ford pickup, a '57 Ford Fairlane and an MGA.

Once I got my license, things got really out of hand....and it hasn't stopped.

Three of those pre-license cars were co-owned with my best friend and all of them were used for driving in the dirt fire lanes of the New Jersey pine barrens. The MGA became a fully insured street legal car once I got my license.

Steve_S
12-31-2004, 12:14 AM
Not soon, but someday I plan to own an MG SA. It's one of my favorite cars of all time. Hopefully they don't appreciate anymore or even the cheap ones will be unattainable.

coldplugs
12-31-2004, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...which was your favorite and what do you want as your next car?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably my '67 Elan Coupe.

Next car: A flat fender Jeep if I can find a good one (I'd like an "Aggie" Jeep but they're pretty rare). Also looking for a Model A (or possibly Model T) pickup.

Paul Johnson
12-31-2004, 01:09 AM
If favorite is defined as the one in retrospect that you most regret having sold, then the 356C. The Bugeye though, bought new and kept for 30 years, must be right up there.

12-31-2004, 01:39 AM
I guess my fav car that I've owned was my 71 Mustang Mach 1, it was such an evil and sinister looking monster. If Darth Vader had owned a Mustang it would have been a 71-73 fastback, all black.

My "money is no object" desired car would be a Ferrari 250 GT California (longnose with the covered headlights), a 275 GTB/4, or a 365 GTS/4 spyder (yeah I've got a thing for older Ferraris). A Maserati Ghibli spyder would be nice to.

Of the cars I'd like to own that I might actually be able to afford sometime in the near future I'd have to say an E-type series 1 FHC or a 69 Mustang 428 cobra jet mach 1, but more than likely I'll be building my 67 Mustang GT/CS coupe clone sometime in the next few years.

KerryStagmer
12-31-2004, 03:23 AM
Basil is that a series 1 or 1.5? i have a 68 1.5 and it is my second e , both being 1.5's im always interested in the part combinations on 67-68 e's this car is uncovered lights, but all series 1 exterior and series 2 interior with series 1 seats. seems the most common. some 67 i have seen were all series 1 but the headlights

jayhawk
01-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Basil-- what a great car!(the old Jag you pictured). I had never seen one before. What years were they produced? By the way-- how are you doing with your newest purchase? That was quite a find!

Basil
01-01-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Basil-- what a great car!(the old Jag you pictured). I had never seen one before. What years were they produced? By the way-- how are you doing with your newest purchase? That was quite a find!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the original SS100s were produced in the late 30's (39 for sure). My recent purchase is doing fine. I'm having some brake work done before I officially get it on the road, but I'm looking forward to it!

Basil

Basil's "new" 1950 Daimler Sport Special Coupe:
https://www.britishcarforum.com/temp/mydaimler1.jpg

bigbadbluetr6
01-05-2005, 05:02 PM
In 4 years of driving, I've only owned one car all by myself and thats my TR6. I had a tempo that my dad drove as a work car and I drove his truck. Then the tempo got wrecked so then we got a Turbo Tbird that my dad uses as a work car now. So i'm not sure how you figure that into cars per year or whatever but thats how many vehicles i've been involved with in the last 4 years.

lesingepsycho
01-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Lets see. I'm 26... 10 years of driving... 5 cars 1 crotch rocket 1 peugeot moped. As with all the rest of you, I too had a 66 Mustang. I've really found it interesting and amusing that almost everyone in this form has had or currently owns a 66 Mustang. There must be some psychological connection between love of sporty british cars and real American(meaning Ford) muscle. My first car was my 73 Midget which is the car that I have come back to and is now my primary transportation (still have the rocket). Also, for five years I rode my bike to my university and after I graduated I spent a year teaching in France where I had no transportation. So really, since I got my liscence 10 years ago, I've probably only had 5 years of actual daily driving. You do the math however you like!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Super 7
01-10-2005, 09:10 PM
I've been a licensed driver for 31 years. There are 26 cars, 2 were before the license and were never registered to me. I count them because I drove them anyway. I can't believe my parents let me do that.

Adding in motorcycles would add 21 more. Currently there are 9 bikes and 6 cars.

Sherlock
01-10-2005, 10:33 PM
To add a twist to this question... How many of you are long-term owners of the same car? I know a couple of Triumph folk who have owned their TR3A's for many years, as in 20+ years, one guy I met here in Alberta last year has owned his TR3A almost all of its' existence, he acquired the car many years ago from the original owner (one of his relatives) and has put 315,000 miles on it. Another friend in Ontario has owned his TR3A for well over 20 years (almost 30 maybe?) and has put 283,000 miles on his Triumph.

jayhawk
01-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Wow, Super 7-- if we count the bikes, you're in the lead!
As for the longevity, in 44 years of driving, I've never owned any car more than my current bug convertible--~ 10 years (and 7 years for a new '72 MGB). I also have recently met folks who have had their TR3's for a very long time. I normally have trouble keeping cars cause I have limited protected space to store cars and I see something else that looks interesting.

Randi
01-11-2005, 05:47 PM
I still have the 1st car I bought myself in 1967-Magggie 1960-twincam but the long journey after that-we have 40 cars right now with 18 on insurance 1930 model A pickup just rebuilt the engine,36 Ford coupe,35 Chevy coupe,35 chevy 4 door sedan with straight 6 sucide doors,46 chevy style master 46 chevy truck,54 chevy 210,4 56 Fords-Victoria,Fairlane,F1oo,Crown Vic,56 Mercury Monterey Phaeton,59 T-bird pink & white, 64 mustang convertible with air,260 V8 & rallypac,64 T-bird retractable, 66 Shelby Fastback (only car I'm not allowed to drive) 60 MGA twin cam , 62 MGB GT(just bought) 79 Midget, 66 F100, 73 Cougar convertible XR7 & 84 Mustang convertible 5.0 carborated & the list goes on..............we are idiots- I even have an Edsel Bermuda wagon that needs ground up but is still a glorious car- the tail lights are circles with chevron arrows in them as turn indicators & faux wood grain exterior..........no wonder it was yellow pliers!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gifRandi

Alfasudcrazy
01-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Im driving since 1978 (27 years) and have had 11 modern cars and 7 classic cars - problem is I can never sell a classic car when I get one so the current count is 7 and rising /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Randi
01-22-2005, 11:53 PM
watch out !!!!it becomes an uncureable disease!!!!Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

jayhawk
01-25-2005, 12:18 PM
I see where Sammy puts his 5 cars but you guys with 6 and 7 cars and a handful of bikes, Where do you put them? My dream after the kids were gone was a 2 bedroom house with a 5- car garage on 5 acres-- don't have the acreage but have the original house now with 4 garage spaces for 2 driver type cars and 2 toys cars.