PDA

View Full Version : HELP WITH TIPPLE STROMBERG SET UP

Got_All_4
12-26-2004, 03:41 PM
THIS IS MY FIRST POSTING! IN A COUPLE OF DAYS I WILL BE MOUNTING MY GOOD PARTS TIPPLE STROMBERG SET UP ON MY TR250. WOULD LIKE SOME IN SITE. I PURCHASED 3 CARBS FROM TEAM TRIUMPH OFF A 1971 TR6. OF COURSE THEY NEED REBUILT AND I HAVE THE KITS. I PLAN TO GET A SET OF NEW NEEDLES SO I KNOW THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. I PLAN ON FOLLOWING RICHARDS INSTRUCTIONS BUT WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT ALL GOES. I PLAN ON RUNNING A HOSE OFF THE VALVE COVER INTO A OIL SEPARATOR AND THEN INTO THE CARB VACUUM PORTS. MODIFICATIONS TO THE MOTOR ARE 10:1 COMPRESSION, ROLLER ROCKERS, VALVE GRIND, PORTING, TOTAL SEAL PISTON RINGS, 6 INTO 1 HEADERS AND A REGROUND STREET CAM. SPECKS ON CAM ARE; DUR INT 250, EX 254, INT OPENS 17 CLOSES 53, EXH OPENS 60, CLOSES 14. RISE IS 255 AND L/C IS 108. LASH IS .014. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED. LOOKING FORWARD TO A GOOD RELATIONSHIP HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

12-26-2004, 04:09 PM
I currently am running Richard's Triple Stromberg setup. Richard's instructions are straight forward enough for you to do a clean install. Follow his lead in modifying the carb linkage as well as the throttle assembly and you will find that the whole setup is extremely smooth. Keeping the three ZS carbs in tune is a snap, especially because they are ridgidly linked together: adjust one, adjust all.

I had the air box installed and opted to go back to three 3.5" K&N individual filters. Having the bonnet louvered right over the filters helps them breath.

The only tip on syncronizing the carbs is better a little lean than a little rich. Went back to hot Champion plugs (had trouble with NGK) and stock, low resistance plug wires (with Lucas Sport Coil). My stainless headers are due in tomorrow. I have GoodParts roller rockers on a .20 bored block. Cam to follow in near future. Even now, I have a lot of giddyup. The Triple intake is a beauty to behold.

Good Luck.

Bill

Mark Beiser
12-27-2004, 02:59 AM
Hey, since you have to strip them down for rebuilding anyway, you may want to find a place that knows how to flow match stromberg carbs. Just like with SU carbs, There is some minor machine work that can be done to them to improve thier top end performance.
I don't think they can be made competative with the top end performance of a webber DCOE like SU carbs can though.

Got_All_4
12-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks Bill! Plan to start on the install Thursday.

Got_All_4
12-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks Mark! Plan to start install Thursday.