PDA

View Full Version : Average age of Lincoln owners & some new slogans

sammyb
12-15-2004, 01:18 PM
I recently was sent statistics on Lincoln ownership demographics, and according to Ford Motor Co, the average age of a Lincoln owner is 60 years old, and scarier is that the average of a Lincoln Continental owner is 70
years old on the nose.

This makes Lincoln Continental owners the oldest of any American model, and the only brand with an older base is Buick at 63. Mercury (Lincoln's "sporty" platform-mate) is tied at 60.

Cadillac's average buyer is 56 (Escalade average buyer age 46)...Four years ago, Cadillac's average buyer was 63.

In 2001 Volkswagen had the youngest average-age buyer at 38, but Scion might dethrone VW in 2004, as it appears the average for the first full year of the brand is hovering around 35.

Being a former marketing guy, advertising slogans immediately popped into my head:

"Lincoln - from Palm Springs to Palm Beach"
"Lincoln - a luxurious drive into the sunset"
"Lincoln - the last car you'll ever need"
"Lincoln - for the rest of your life"
"Lincoln - cars running longer than their owners"

or my personal favorite:

"You can have my Lincoln when you pry the keys from my cold dead hands."

aeronca65t
12-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Interesting.
I actually imagine that some of the new Lincolns would be nice cars, since they share a lot of chassis parts with the new Jags (I'm not including the pickup-based, leather-trimmed school buses that Lincoln also sells).
Anyway, I'll be ready for a Lincoln sedan......when I'm about 96.
Caddy is probably doing well with Boomers due to all the Led Zep music in their TV adds.
One of my very best friends ownes an Escalade....but there are not enough words in the English language to explain to me why anyone would buy one (he's tried).

Tullamore
12-15-2004, 02:00 PM
It sounds like these statistics are screwed by because it sounds that they represent new car purchasers not all owners. This would make sense as younger people can not afford to buy a new car.

waltesefalcon
12-15-2004, 02:31 PM
The new Lincolns aren't bad looking cars. I actually really like the new design cues Buick is taking, or should I say retro design cues. Cadillac, I'm honestly not sure why anyone would buy a new Cadillac, I think they are very ugly, many being on the same level of ugly as the Pontiac Aztec.

vagt6
12-15-2004, 02:39 PM
The high average age may have a lot to do with the longevity of the marque itself. Lincoln has manufactured some wonderful cars over the decades, and Lincolns (with a few exceptions) have long represented the best Ford Motor Company has to offer.

Those 70+ year old Lincoln owners may be recalling the 1940 or 1950 Lincolns when they purchase a new Lincoln. Those were really beautiful cars, and a symbol of prosperity and success for those who drove them.

Nostalgia probably has a lot to do with the advanced age, I think. And, the new Lincolns are pretty nice rides, too!