PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary fuel pump

pdplot
01-01-2011, 08:36 PM
My '71 TR-6 is hard to start when cold. When it's hot, it starts on the touch of the key but I have to crank it a long time when ity sits in the garage. Would an electric pump like a Facet or SU when switched on like a a Piper airplane help to start easier?

NutmegCT
01-01-2011, 08:39 PM
PD - if you don't have a priming lever on your fuel pump, you can put a "squeeze bulb" primer in the fuel line. Something like this:

https://www.goingoingone.org/picture_library/IMG_1910c.JPG

Priming is likely what you need, if all the other systems are set up properly (ignition, carbs, timing, etc.).

And welcome to BCF!

Tom in eastern Connecticut

pdplot
01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
My '71 TR-6 is hard to start when cold. When it's hot, it starts on the touch of the key but I have to crank it a long time when ity sits in the garage. Would an electric pump like a Facet or SU when switched on like a a Piper airplane help to start easier? [/quote]

Darrell_Walker
01-01-2011, 08:45 PM
It depends on why it takes a while to start when cold. Is it because the fuel evaporates from the float chambers? If so, then an electric pump could fill them before cranking the engine. But if there is something else going on, then I don't think it would help.

M_Pied_Lourd
01-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Do you have your choke cables set up properly. Have you checked fo movement while someone pulls on the choke cable. I would check that first and go from there.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

Mychael
01-02-2011, 03:15 AM
Did some 6's have carbies? Thought they were all P.I.

vivdownunder
01-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Mike, initially USA delivered TR6's had continuations of the twin Stromberg TR250 engine, as petrol injection of the day wouldn't meet emerging emission control regulations. Later twin carby TR6's were even further de-tuned as smog gear was added.

As you would recall, Oz and the UK were a long way behind the USA on emission control, so we received the higher powered but "dirty" petrol injected TR5's and 6's. Given all the trouble that primitive PI system gave, I'm not sure we got the best end of the stick.

Cya,

Viv.

swift6
01-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Did some 6's have carbies? Thought they were all P.I.

The majority of TR6's were carbueretted, as that was how they came to the US and the US was the largest market for them. Many PI cars have been fitted with carbs as well so actual PI equipped cars are more and more rare anymore but there are still quite a few out there.

pdplot
01-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Fuel pump has a primer lever - but who wants to bend over car in a cold garage. I'm 77 and my back is iffy...

PD

pdplot
01-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Choke cable is fine. Carbs are fine. SU's & Strombergs don't have accelerator pumps. I may try some ether spritzed into the air intake (I have individual air cleaners in place of that ugly stock chamber.

PD

Gliderman8
01-02-2011, 08:52 PM
You really should not have to introduce ether into the intake to get it to start. As others have mentioned above, you should check the other variables (timing, etc.) first before resorting to the ether. Also, it may be dangerous... use caution.
Have you checked the spark plugs? Are the gaps set right?

pdplot
01-03-2011, 01:57 PM
I did discover that the front choke cable had slipped a bit (loose holdown screw) and was not opening fully. (Rear ok). The cable was badly frayed too and I'll order a new one from TRF. I plan to cold-start the car tonight when I get home from work.

PD

pdplot
01-03-2011, 08:34 PM
I cranked it over tonight. Still took a long time to fire even though both chokes were fully opened.My son had a Fiat Spider that had the same problem.

PD

Gliderman8
01-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I still say you need to track down the problem... if things are set right it should start with a couple of cranks. Check into your fuel filter to make sure it is not clogged.
I had a Fiat, and this ain't no Fiat :nonono:

pdplot
01-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Fuel filter is clear. Car can rev to 5K with no trouble but I never go over 4500 and even then not so much, just to keep the plugs clear since I only drive around town.

PD

Tinster
01-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Have you checked the gap on your ignition points?
Or perhaps the points have pitted. Check the timing as well.
good luck- report back/

d :driving:

pdplot
01-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Points and plugs are fine. Ignition is right where it always was - about 6 degrees BTDC. I've set there for 12 years. The car runs with much more pep than 10 degrees ATDC but it needs premium fuel. Since I only drive the car a few times a month that's no problem. it may be that the fuel loses volatility from sitting around. Does anyone else run with advanced timing?

PD