PDA

View Full Version : Best way to crimp bullet connectors?

tdskip
01-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Big pliers or vice?

BTW - this was my first order from British Wiring and wow, what a nice company!

Keoke
01-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Best way to crimp bullet connectors?

:savewave:

Using lead free solder----Keoke--- :hammer:

TR3driver
01-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I 'grees. If you don't have the proper crimping tool, then just solder them. (But I use old fashioned lead/tin/rosin core solder).

tdskip
01-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi guys - do you try to get solder into the end of the bullet connector or just on the wire/bullet connector where it attaches?

EDIT - looks like the correct way is to get the bullet connector hot, fill it with solder, keep it hot, and then stick the wire in it and let it cool. Yes?

Brosky
01-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I think that BobbyD had something on his site about this.

Yes he does and it's right here: BobbyD Wiring Tools and Instructions (https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Wire_Harness_1.htm)

martx-5
01-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Use 60/40 rosin core solder. Strip enough insulation off the wire so the insulation butts up against the connector, and the bare wire reaches to the other end. Heat the bullet with the soldering iron, and feed the solder in through the <span style="font-weight: bold">hole in the front.</span> It will get sucked right in when it's hot enough, and a bit of practice will tell you when the bullet is full.

DNK
01-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Bullet crimper

tdskip
01-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys - just got done soldering my first bullet connectors. Some good how-to videos on YouTube if you are a newbie at this like me. Tested them and they even work - LOL.

Thanks for the info.

rlwhitetr3b
01-01-2011, 02:49 PM
If you can find some 63/37 solder, it is harder to get a "cold" solder connection.

Mychael
01-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Then if you really want to finish it off. Go to a marine supplier or larger electrical place and get a bottle of the brush on sealer. You can get red and black last I looked. Paint it over the end where you've soldered and then once you've joined the connectors together over both of them. Keeps moisture out.

jsfbond
01-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Dorman makes a good liquid electrical tape in two colors, red #85297, and black #85296.

mrv8q
01-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Shrink Wrap

Mychael
01-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Shrink wrap is good but I've found it does not get into all the crevices as well and harder to get it to cover evenly. The liquid can be put on after everything is connected.

TR6BILL
01-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I have a British Wiring bullet connector crimper tool, with case. I will sell it half price, whatever that may be, plus a few bucks shipping, if anyone is interested. I think they are $55 new. How about $30 total, includes shipping in price in the lower 48. In perfect working order.

TR6oldtimer
01-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Shrink wrap is good but I've found it does not get into all the crevices as well and harder to get it to cover evenly. The liquid can be put on after everything is connected.

Back in the day as a marine electrician, silicon caulk then shrink warp. Never leaks, but a pain to remove once done. In the Navy, on RF connectors, we used silicon caulk, then wrapped tight with vinyl tape, then sealed with lacquer paint.

Now I just use shrink wrap or better yet, a tight fitting piece of rubber or vinyl tubing.

Oh, on soldering, I always tin the wire before I put it into the connector. Much less heat to get good penetration of the strands.

glemon
01-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Am I missing something, if you solder the bullet connecter don't you make a permanent connection where it was meant to be removable?, I have found if cleaned and in good shape they provide a reliable connection, many of the problems are from old corroded connectors, some even corrode to the point where part of the steal breaks off theses of course are not so good after that.

tdskip
01-01-2011, 10:13 PM
PM sent Bill

tdskip
01-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Am I missing something, if you solder the bullet connecter don't you make a permanent connection where it was meant to be removable?,

Hi there - I was asking about connecting the wire to the connector, not bullet to sleeve. I could have been more clear - sorry!

tdskip
01-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Shrink Wrap

Not be confused with this;

https://www.montpelier.k12.nd.us/saran.jpg

Which can be used to do useful things like this;

https://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/110008/467247.jpg

glemon
01-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood, now that I reread apparently everybody else got it, never mind.....

KVH
01-02-2011, 02:55 AM
I'm not sure I understand that one crimping tool that says it crimps in a hexagon pattern?

What would be the purpose of that kind of crimp?

Mychael
01-02-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm not sure I understand that one crimping tool that says it crimps in a hexagon pattern?

What would be the purpose of that kind of crimp?

Stronger perhaps, I've never seen one and wonder if they require special connectors to be used with them.

TR6BILL
01-02-2011, 05:35 AM
Lot's of replys for the crimper to sell. Sold it right away.

TR6oldtimer
01-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Often over looked in making up wire connectors is the failure to make a mechanical connection to the insulation. Quality connectors will have a collar or other means to secure the connector to the insulation. The purpose is to improve the mechanical connection to minimize the flexing of the wire at the point where the solder ends and the unsupported wire strands begin.

You will note in the following image there are two points of connection. On the right is the electrical connection to the wire which is either soldered or crimped. On the left is a second crimp connection to the insulation.

https://www.societyofrobots.com/images/sbs_photoresistor_molex.JPG
Here is another connector, showing the two connection points.
https://i.ehow.com/images/a04/b7/ha/install-crimp-on-wire-connector-200X200.jpg

Here is a shot of connectors that do not have the second mechanical support crimp.

https://img.qualitytoyschina.com/112653855255548900/terminal_connector.jpg

All these connectors require shrink tubing for insulation, and the last one for mechanical support.

Other then for quick repairs, I stay away from these because of the poor mechanical support. When I do have to use them for long term repairs, I remove the insulation, solder, then use shrink tubing.

https://www.2carpros.com/images/articles/electrical/connector/wire_connectors.jpg

Keoke
01-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi guys - do you try to get solder into the end of the bullet connector or just on the wire/bullet connector where it attaches?

EDIT - looks like the correct way is to get the bullet connector hot, fill it with solder, keep it hot, and then stick the wire in it and let it cool. Yes?

----NO!!!
Make sure the wire is clean then tin it. Poke it through the hole in the end of the bullet trim it close add additional solder there using a good hot Iron and capillary action will complete the connection.---Keoke

hondo402000
01-02-2011, 03:57 PM
a crimp is the best way, if your soldered joint get hot because of a short the solder melts and the wire comes out, soldering speaker wires is fine but I would crip all bullet on the wires if possible

HOndo

DrEntropy
01-02-2011, 04:48 PM
If the solder in a bullet connector in an LBC gets hot enuff to MELT due to a short, you probably have bigger issues. :devilgrin:

rlwhitetr3b
01-02-2011, 06:12 PM
The problem I have with soldering the wires is when you solder multi strand wire; it becomes a sold strand wire and will tend to break easier. The shrink wrap would tend to spread the stress across a greater area and reduce the problem. Also you would want to limit the amount of solder that is pulled into the wire beyond the connnector.

Keoke
01-03-2011, 10:31 AM
If the solder in a bullet connector in an LBC gets hot enuff to MELT due to a short, you "have" bigger issues. :devilgrin:

-------------------------------Keoke----- :devilgrin:--2

Twosheds
01-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Shrink Wrap

He means heat shrink.

tdskip
01-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Shrink Wrap

He means heat shrink.

Yeah, go that. Was trying to be amusing... (failed)

jsfbond
01-03-2011, 12:22 PM
If the solder in a bullet connector in an LBC gets hot enuff to MELT due to a short, you probably have bigger issues. :devilgrin:
If your wiring gets hot enough to melt the solder, then its on a
British car for sure.

DNK
01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I got it Tom, was that person asleep the whole time?