PDA

View Full Version : speedometer problem

66 fhc
01-05-2002, 06:31 PM
The speedometer needle on my 4.2 xke jumps around at almost any speed. I've pulled out the inner cable and lubricated it , but it did'nt do much good. Any ideas? This was'nt a problem before I started the restoration.

Hal Kritzman
01-05-2002, 08:53 PM
More than likely, if lubricating the cable with a suitable graphite based oil does not quiet things down, the next culprit I would examine is the right angle drive at the transmission end. It is reachable through a removeable rubber plug on the right side of the transmission tunnel. There are little nylon gears within which can break or wear out. Lastly, the square head of the cable on either end may have rounded slightly from wear and is slipping. Replace the cable. Worst case, of course, is a breakdown within the speedometer head itself. Good luck.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Hal Kritzman ]</p>

Jagdreamer
01-05-2002, 09:19 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hal Kritzman:
... Worst case, of course, is a breakdown within the tachometer head itself. Good luck.<hr></blockquote>

How could a breakdown of the tachometer affect his "speedometer?" images/icons/shocked.gif

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist images/icons/tongue.gif We know what you ment.
JD graemlins/angel.gif

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Jagdreamer ]</p>

DougR
01-06-2002, 02:10 AM
Before you send out that speedo, remove the COMPLETE cable. Housing and all. If there is any abrupt bend in either the housing or the shaft, the needle will bounce. VOE (voice of experience)
P.S. My speedo LOOKED a lot better after it was redone. graemlins/lol.gif
Doug

Hal Kritzman
01-06-2002, 04:09 AM
Tachometer! Did I type that? It must be the effects of sleep deprivation. I've been up since 5 am yesterday morning. Anyway, another good test of the Speedometer unit and cable is to detach the cable at the transmision end and spin it using a variable speed drill at different constant rotational speeds. If the needle is reading steady than the right angle drive is the most likely defective component. There may be a kink in the cable or too sharp a bend as has also been suggested but not likely IMO. Such an extreme condition usually causes a broken cable in short order time.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Hal Kritzman ]</p>

Basil
01-06-2002, 04:22 AM
Boy Hal, first you're posting pictures, and now using bold type! It sure didn't take you long to get the hang of things here images/icons/tongue.gif Speaking of speedos and tachs, do you happen to know where one could get the seals that go between the glass and the outter bezel? Anyone make thos, or do you just have to fashion them yourself?

Basil images/icons/confused.gif

Hal Kritzman
01-06-2002, 04:48 AM
Hi Basil,
Contact Nisonger Instrument Sales and Service at 914-381-1952 or FAX: 914-381-1786.
They will have the gaskets you need. You could make something that might work but it would require the correct material, very accurate cutting and lots of time to do it right. Buying it is definately the right path in this case.

Basil
01-06-2002, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hal Kritzman:
Hi Basil,
Contact Nisonger Instrument Sales and Service at 914-381-1952 or FAX: 914-381-1786.
They will have the gaskets you need. You could make something that might work but it would require the correct material, very accurate cutting and lots of time to do it right. Buying it is definately the right path in this case.<hr></blockquote>

Oh, ok. I happen to have a link to their site here. I didn't realize they sold parts too! Cool, I'll contact them, thanks!
Basil

66 fhc
01-07-2002, 02:10 AM
HI Hal and Doug. Thanks for the feedback. All good ideas. By the way Doug, do you ever make it to the jag swap meet in Santa Ana? I beleve they have it twice a year.

DougR
01-07-2002, 01:27 PM
Havn't been, but I'm sure with THIS forum, I won't miss events due to lack of knowledge! Thanks! And thanks Basil!

Jeb
01-09-2002, 02:28 PM
The speedo cables in these and other British cars are notorious for causing this particular problem. IMHO you should replace the cable with a new unit first. The one in the car is old anyway and not particularly expensive. While you have the cable out, check the right angle drive for any signs of binding as well.

The speedo could be the problem as well but that should be your last avenue of attack. If the speedo appears to be bad, send it to Bob at Nisonger's......they are terrific and I have had the pleasure of using their products and services for a number of years.

Jeb

laydent
01-10-2002, 06:38 PM
Well the speedo thing sounds right to me also. With mine it was all over the board until serious cleaning by the Nisonger group. I tried the cleaning myself.....marginal improvement. Apparently a bunch of goop was on the " go around and rond thingy".