PDA

View Full Version : Ford GT

Bruce Bowker
12-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Just looking at some prices on the new Ford GT. I guess whenever a hot new car comes out prices are rediculous and people will pay. $ 75,000 over what was supposed to be the price. As much as I like these cars, I would wait until it all calms down, if it does.

Bruce

vagt6
12-10-2004, 06:53 AM
Yep, Bruce, that's a premium allright.

However, a Ford dealer friend of mine says all the GT40s are essentially spoken for, the whole production run. Folks have either made downpayments or full payment for all of the anticipated production run.

Has anyone else heard this? If it's true, I'm not surprised. I can't imagine this car not becoming a highly valued classic. 500 HP, gorgeous lines, all the amenities.

I want one . . .

waltesefalcon
12-10-2004, 08:00 AM
There is one here in town on the showroom floor that is for sale. So I'd say there are a few at least which aren't spoken for.

jayhawk
12-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Just read about them last night in the newest "Automobile" mag. They were comparing 4 200 mph cars one can buy in the US -- The Ford was considered the bargain of the bunch and the one that captured the most attention during their tests. The said that even at 75K over it would sell all available.
The typical 0-60 time among this bunch was about 4 seconds and 0-100 was in the seven second range. Amazing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Steve_S
12-10-2004, 07:52 PM
The new GT, in my opinion, is the most well executed revival of a classic ever produced. Styling is modern yet retains everything of the original. Not hard to do I suppose since the original design was a timeless one.

Bugeye58
12-11-2004, 07:27 AM
I've had two Ford engineers who were heavily involved in the GT Project tell me, "It's a good $50,000 car."
Just shows that the price is set at whatever the market will bear. Remember that at the introduction of the Viper, prices were similarly jacked up.
But, as the GT will see much more limited production than the Viper, I doubt that prices will fall as much as they did for it.
Jeff

MGA Steve
12-14-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as the GT will see much more limited production than the Viper, I doubt that prices will fall as much as they did for it. Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
Guess I'll just have to wait to buy someone else's GT when they grow tired of their impractical toy. Although I seem to remember thinking that about a 289 Cobra in 1965 . . . and I can afford an original Cobra even less now than I could in 1965 when I was a broke college student! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

Bret
12-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Interesting: In the January 05 issue of Car and Driver there is a short little read previewing the new Aston Martin V-12 Vanquish S.

At the end C&D article on the potent new 007 wonder the manufacture describes it as the fastest-ever Aston-Martin. Where as C&D used to hail the Vanquish as the fastest & most expensive car in the Ford stable. But now that there is the new Ford GT, the Aston-Martin will have to settle for just being the most expensive. (@ ~$255,000) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Cheers!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

adam90009
12-14-2004, 05:55 PM
One thing I wan't to do later on is build a GT40 kit car. It will be the closest thing I can have without having the real thing.

vagt6
12-14-2004, 06:04 PM
A friend here has a Cobra kit car, has a Ford 427 "side-oiler", lake pipes, Smith gauges, etc.

Let's talk about fast. This car is very, very quick/fast, possibly the quickest street car I've ever witnessed. Loud, too.

If the new one's faster, I'd prefer a professional driver while I'm in the thing!!!

Bugeye58
12-15-2004, 04:29 AM
Mark, I'll work cheap! Although I have to admit that the 427 Cobra was one of the hardest things on the feet that ever hit the road. You could cook an entire Thanksgiving dinner in the footwell on a fairly short trip.
On second thought, I'll let <u>you</u> drive. The old Cobra was a brutal beast.
Jeff

jayhawk
12-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Although I seem to remember thinking that about a 289 Cobra in 1965 . . . and I can afford an original Cobra even less now than I could in 1965 when I was a broke college student! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you-- I was starting grad school/part time job in '68 when I could have bought a '67 427 Cobra for $5K
It was about $4K too much then and $40K too much now!

MGA Steve
12-21-2004, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a '67 427 Cobra for $5K . . . It was about $4K too much then and $40K too much now!

[/ QUOTE ]
Only $40K? You must be thinking of the "kit car." The one I want is about $400K too much--and my house isn't worth that much! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Although I have to admit that the 427 Cobra was one of the hardest things on the feet that ever hit the road. You could cook an entire Thanksgiving dinner in the footwell on a fairly short trip.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds just like my feet when driving my MGA in the summer--two broiled lobsters each wearing 5 toes!

12-21-2004, 01:26 PM
The new GT, as tested by Road and track, is now the second fastest road going current production car in the world, behind the Ferrari Enzo. Considering that you could buy three GT's for what you'll spend for an Enzo, I think it's a pretty good bargain.

I looked into building a Cobra replica a few years ago, with a 351 stroked and bored out to 427. ERA and Superformance had the best kits I think, although not the cheapest. Factory Five racing makes a nice kit that uses lots of bits from late 80's/early 90's Mustangs, but the proportions of the car just don't look quit right to me. What finally turned me off to it was that every car show I went to, I was seeing more and more Cobra's. Now, they're everywhere, at least around my area, there's no exclusivity left in them, unless you're filthy rich and own a real one. Prices I've seen lately for a driver quality 289 car are between 150K and 200K, 427's easily pull over half a mill, especially if they have history. Jeez, 426 hemi Cuda convertibles are going for over a million, 20 years ago who would have thought that would happen.

Steve_S
12-21-2004, 02:26 PM
It ain't all about speed! (at least not to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

12-21-2004, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It ain't all about speed! (at least not to me. )

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, if it was I wouldn't be driving a TR6. The GT is just a beautiful car all the way around, regardless of it's performance. It's just that aggressively retro styled slow cars often die an early death and no one remembers them (like the Plymouth Prowler).

Steve_S
12-21-2004, 02:50 PM
That thing was horrible in every respect. The GT, however is gorgeous!

PC
12-21-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...What finally turned me off to it was that every car show I went to, I was seeing more and more Cobra's. Now, they're everywhere....

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

When I cruise down to the beach on any given weekend I pretty much always see one or more repliCobras.

I can go months without seeing a TR6. When I do see one it always seems special.

PC.

Bugeye58
12-21-2004, 07:12 PM
What's this!?
Ford is now telling all of us that actually bought the GT not to drive it until one of their representatives picks up the car on a roll back, and takes it in to have a suspension arm replaced!!??
Have we all been bilked again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Jeff