PDA

View Full Version : colour schemes

Paul
12-31-2001, 08:10 PM
Is it such a great sin to match colors that were not stock? I want to create black interior and a BRGreen but it did not happen in 1969. Are there any fashion police on line? Paul images/icons/confused.gif

Jagdreamer
12-31-2001, 09:49 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul:
Is it such a great sin to match colors that were not stock? I want to create black interior and a BRGreen but it did not happen in 1969. Are there any fashion police on line? Paul images/icons/confused.gif <hr></blockquote>

I look at it like this - it's your car, you own it! So, if it makes you happy and you're not worried about "Concours" then go for it! (As long as the color combo at least looks plausible for an EType). But ask me my opinion of swapping the engine for American iron and I may graemlins/pukeface.gif

JD graemlins/crazy.gif

Hal Kritzman
01-05-2002, 12:59 AM
It is definately a negative if you ever want to enter a Concours but more important, IMO, it decreases the potential resale value should you want to sell. However, as others have commented, it is your car and therefore, if eventual resale is not in your plans, do what pleases you. It is
also possible a less knowledgeable judge won't catch such a miss-match anyhow. What's wrong with biscuit?

William
01-05-2002, 05:09 PM
It's all down to originality, I suppose. As everyone said, it'd count against a concours score, but I don't think it'd hurt resale value much, if at all, unless a potential buyer is a Jaguar expert who is looking for details like that. Plus, black interior with green outside isn't an unusual color combo-plenty of other cars use it (our MGB does). If you went the full custom route- say, biscuit seats, mulberry red carpets, green door panels, bright white piping all round, and yellow highlights in the door panels, well, your resale value might take a hit. Personally, I'd go ahead with the black-like I said, it's not a horrendous, obviously custom combo.
-William

Jagdreamer
01-05-2002, 09:10 PM
Just don't get a diamond "tuck-and-roll" interior and put little fuzzy dice in the window graemlins/square.gif

JD

Paul
01-13-2002, 12:28 PM
Any body want to buy some dice? Paul images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Doug
01-13-2002, 02:18 PM
I've never been able to confirm this but I am quite sure that I have read (years ago---source?) that Jaguar would paint a car *any* color a customer wanted. The story went on to mention one customer sending in her "undies" as a color sample.

If this is true I'm not sure when it was done. Common sense would dictate that, as Jaguar became bigger and more modern, it would not be able to accomodate this type of request.

Anyone else ever heard of this ?

Cheers,
Doug

Basil
01-13-2002, 03:18 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Doug:
I've never been able to confirm this but I am quite sure that I have read (years ago---source?) that Jaguar would paint a car *any* color a customer wanted. &lt;SNIP&gt;<hr></blockquote>

Doug, a perfect example is the EType I use as the logo for the British Car Forum. This car was painted "Valentine Beige" at the factory - a nonstandard EType color. As far as I know it's the only one in existence factory painted this color (at least in 67). It so happens, this was my car in High School. For the complete story of how I found it by accident again 28 years later, click on the Jag Picture that's on the "Home" page here. The current owner sent me a picture of the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust certificate proving the original color. Here it is click here &gt;&gt;
JDHT Certificate (https://britishcarforum.com/pictures/JDHT.jpg)

Basil images/icons/grin.gif

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>