PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 timing

jscott
12-05-2004, 10:34 AM
When the timing hole on the fan pully is lined up with the pointer on the timing chain cover and #1 cylinder valves are both closed, this would be TDC. The distributor rotor is sitting in-between #1 and #3 spark plug wire contacts. Does this sound right? Can the distributor skip a tooth or somehow get out of time or should the rotor be on its way to #3 spark plug cantact when the timing marks line up?
Jim

Geo Hahn
12-05-2004, 03:45 PM
At TDC the rotor should be pointed at #1 spark plug.

Yes, the distributor can be mounted in other positions and still be able to be properly timed but the wires present themselves more neatly and everything is 'by the book' when the rotor points at #1 @ TDC.

The position can be changed by withdrawing and reinserting the distributor & the pedestal. It may take a couple of trial insertions to get the hang of it as the shaft turns as it engages the drive gear. I cannot recall how much movement you get from one tooth to the next but would think you should be able to get closer to the ideal position than what you have described.

Geo Hahn
12-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Just to clarify... when I say pointing "at #1 spark plug" I mean literally that -- pointing at the actual plug.

Apart from that, when timing is set the rotor will be very near the dizzy cap contact for #1 (or #4) at TDC.

I can't tell from your description whether the distributor need to be relocated on the drive gear or has just moved significantly in it's mount.

Does the engine run in the condition you describe? I would think not... in which case I would start by correcting the timing, then see what position things are in.