PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

Morris
10-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Perhaps another one of my really dumb ideas but...

BP Northwest has a 3.27:1 crown wheel pinion set for a GT6. I know that the GT6/Spit diff has similar dimensions and shares a few parts with the Spridget diff. If the GT6 crown wheel where the same size as Spridget crown wheel (or very, very close to the same size) would it be possible to re-drill the crown wheel to fit the Spridget? If that is possible, all that would be needed would be to find an appropriate bearing for the pinion, correct?

MikeP
10-26-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd suspect it could be more complicated. There's the length of the pinion, are they different?? How about the input flange for the driveshaft, will it work or will you need a GT6 one and if so, will the seal work or need to be different?? The offset of the pinion to the crown wheel, would it be too close or too far away to make proper contact?? Setting preload, can you use one or the other set of shims, crush sleeve, etc or will you need to source different?? These just off the top of my head. I'm not saying it won't work as I've never sat down and compared the bits, but the crown wheel is just one part of the equation.

10-26-2010, 12:32 PM
I think it would be easier to put the GT6 suspension and dif in the Spridget than go the route you're talking about. Too many critical varibles IMO.

10-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Why you want a 3.27 gear? I don't think a 1500 could pull that to our satisfaction (yours and mine). Also there is a disclaimer on only fitting a certain carrier number. That's allot of cake for a gear set you'll have to modify.