PDA

View Full Version : Wedge TR7 conversion Latest.

TR7/8 TPI
11-26-2004, 12:54 AM
Been a while since I posted an update here.

The Jag rear end is almost done and am just waiting for the axles to be shortened.

The underside of the body is finished and the body is off the rotisserie and back on the ground.

I am just about done with the power windows and door locks.

In the next week or so, I will start with the fender flares to replicate the first version of Grinall's body(like pic in sig).

trrdster2000
11-26-2004, 11:56 PM
Love it, keep up the great work. Wayne

waltesefalcon
11-27-2004, 02:12 AM
Hey good luck on the work. Thats gonna be a pretty awesome car when its all said and done.

78Z
12-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Looks like its coming along nicely. Any idea of how much it will weigh when done?

TR7/8 TPI
12-03-2004, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like its coming along nicely. Any idea of how much it will weigh when done?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure. I have forgotten what the original weight of the car is.

I have pretty much made up my mind to hold off on the turbo setup. I will eventually do the turbos but this project is taking so much time and money as it is and would take a ton more with the turbos. To make things quicker and chearper, I am going to use an LS1 engine and T56 6 speed. The LS1 is all aluminum and with a different cam, Vette intake, chip and a few other tweaks, the LS1 will put out 450HP or so.

The only main weight additions will be the All aluminum V8 and the Jag suspension and subframe. If I had to take a guess, I would say 300-400 lbs over stock. This added weight will be fairly evenly distibuted front to rear so balance should be close to stock and maybe better.

labontecsi
01-13-2005, 04:22 PM
I'd like some more info on your power steering conversion. Was it pretty much bolt in, or was there some fab work? I think I may need to follow your example, I don't look forward to turning sticky 245's without power steering, nor do I trust the stock box to do it.

TR7/8 TPI
01-18-2005, 02:01 AM
Todd,

I'm still not quite sure how I will hook it up but it will all certainly be custom fabbed, like the rest of the car. I know that the rack will physically fit under the 350 engine as all the major dimensions are really close. Right now I am still bogged down with the rearend and don't get to work on that but a few hours a week due to other responsibilities. With any luck, I might finish the car THIS year but I'm not holding my breath.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like some more info on your power steering conversion. Was it pretty much bolt in, or was there some fab work? I think I may need to follow your example, I don't look forward to turning sticky 245's without power steering, nor do I trust the stock box to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

jeff3113
01-18-2005, 02:49 AM
For what's it worth I chose a Ford Mustang power steering system. The rack input shaft was at slight angle that allowed for locating the steering shaft around the engine exhaust - with 3 u-joints. I cut the ends off the original TR6 rack and welded them to the ford unit. Works like a dream and I ended up with a slightly quicker ratio in the process. The rack is held in place with two - 5/8 inch grade 8 bolts that fasten into the cooresponding nuts welded to the frame. One tough setup.
Good luck!
Jeff