PDA

View Full Version : Need help to ID my radiator

RickB
10-19-2010, 11:36 AM
So what is it, is it an MG Midget 1500 radiator? A Datsun 210 radiator? Anyone know?

RickB
10-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Other side:

JPSmit
10-19-2010, 12:07 PM
definitely not a 1500 rad - they don't have rad caps except on the overflow tank

RickB
10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Right, but it's not like the Datsun radiator pics I'm viewing either.

RickB
10-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Dimensions are: 20.5" wide x 12" tall x 2" thick

mightymidget
10-19-2010, 02:09 PM
I have heard a popular modification for a midget radiator is the VW Sirraco. (misspelled) radiator

RickB
10-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Well I figured out it's going to be very hard to figure that out so I pulled it and took it to a shop about a half mile from home where the guy repairs radiators. He used to build radiators and he says it might be a custom unit.

Billm
10-19-2010, 07:07 PM
---and should I ask "why" it needed to come out??
BillM

RickB
10-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Top tank leaking at freeway speed, making a mess and likely to get worse if left alone.

Water escaping around the edge of the hood and spraying the windscreen - yech!

RickB
10-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Driving the Sprite to Issaquah tomorrow AM.

RickB
10-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Ok, that was a brisk ride in this morning.

The things you find on those once in a great while trips...
My headlight on the drivers side seems to be coming on brown, probably a connector or bad ground. MK2 Sprite so it can't be too complicated. Passenger side is nice and bright. Not sure if brake lights are working so I need to get a helper and check that out. Turn signals and parking lights all good as is windshield wiper.

The new top held on great, first time for it at freeway speed and it did fine.
I didn't bolt on the windows (side screens) because I have the wind wings in place and didn't want to go through the effort of removing and replacing.

I just put in antifreeze and Seafoam this past weekend, so now I am sure they are all though the system.

Hopefully I will get the radiator back today, then ride in the luxurious comfort of the Midget tomorrow morning with things like a heater, defroster, radio, roll up windows... All the comforts.

RickB
10-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Wow - I took the radiator in on the 19th.
The guy kept saying "tomorrow afternoon it will be done" like every day.
Finally I went over there yesterday after work and asked to see my radiator.
It was still sitting right where he put it on the 19th.
He was embarrassed and said come back at 5pm and it will be done.
I went home, waited around, then went back at 5.
He wasn't there but the guy who was there said the owner was embarrassed however he did the work and was only going to charge $20 because he jerked me around.

So I took it home and installed it and filled with coolant. Started the car and ran for a while. Seemed ok.
This morning when I parked I noticed fluid coming out on the side with the cap pooling on the ground. Hopefully it's just the cap and replacing it will fix that.
Wonder what pressure cap I need for the Datsun A15 motor? They should be able to look that up at O'Reillys.

mightymidget
10-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Have you got a over flow with a tank? They will leak with out one

10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Wonder what pressure cap I need for the Datsun A15 motor? They should be able to look that up at O'Reillys.

I put 16#'s on everything, but I'm sure someone will yell at me about it. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

10-27-2010, 02:07 PM
When you picked it up you should have told them, "I'll pay you tommorrow."

RickB
10-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah: "I'll be back tomorrow afternoon with that payment" :laugh:

I went to the auto parts place and their book showed a 13# cap for the Datsun 210 and B210 with the A15 motor.

So I bought one, I'll see where it leaks on the way home.

I do have an overflow tube and tank, need to make sure it's all good with no leaks too.

mrsprite
10-28-2010, 04:06 PM
I use a 13# cap with my A15 Bugeye. Hopefully that's the problem and not a botched repair job.....I'd hate to see how long it'll take them to re-repair it! :smile:

RickB
10-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I wouldn't go back there unless - well I can't think of a situation but it would have to be dire.

The new cap seems to have solved that problem, the seam repair held and the price was good.

Unfortunately telling me "tomorrow" every day for a week and then finding it sitting on the floor exactly where deposited was enough to make me not want to go back. Too bad, the guy has some experience with MG's and is close to home.

jlaird
10-28-2010, 10:50 PM
If you are lucky you will never again need his services.