View Full Version : HIF6 Fuel Leak?

bill_powell
10-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I need to tap your brains again!

Here is my HIF:

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/bill_powell/TEMP/PICT0002-2.jpg

Smelled fuel last night on the way home. Today, I found fuel escaping here:

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/bill_powell/TEMP/PICT0003-2.jpg

It's a pretty good trickle running along the 'plunger' and spring.I also noticed fuel escaping (from the far end) of my vent/overflow line, which is just below. I do have a fuel pressure regulator. Could the regulator have gone south, or should I be looking at a carb issue?

Thanks...

EDIT: Checked the regulator; no issues, running about 2 2/3 LBS, which is where I set it.

jlaird
10-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Would think that if fuel is escaping from vent/overflow line you may have a stuck float valve, ie it does not close and cut off fuel. I would surely look there first

bill_powell
10-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Yes, that was my first thought when I saw fuel from the overflow. However, the fuel leaking at the 'plunger' for lack of the correct term, seems to me to imply a different problem. A seal perhaps. (FYI the plunger is spring loaded, and is operated by the throttle linkage, just visible in the photo)

jlaird
10-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Wonders what this plunger does. Press on throttle open fuel supply, strange to my thought. Shoot take the side off and see what is in there. Looks like only a couple of screws from this view. Prob just might be very obvous.

Gundy
10-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Wonders what this plunger does. Press on throttle open fuel supply, strange to my thought. Shoot take the side off and see what is in there. Looks like only a couple of screws from this view. Prob just might be very obvous.

X2. My HIF6 has no such plunger.

bill_powell
10-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Okay, found someone familiar with that particular HIF setup. It is for a Volvo, and he said that if the carb overflows it can indeed leak at that little valve.

That out of the way, I took off the carb, disassembled, checked float and needle valve, cleaned 'em all up, reassembled, and the leak was gone.

Whew. Glad that's over.

Now...what's next? I'm lost without some issue to resolve...