PDA

View Full Version : Definition Of Excellent:

DougF
10-09-2010, 05:33 PM
What defines a car as being "excellent".

I looked at a car recently that was described as such in the ad. What I found was a car that at 40 feet was at a glance, and an inspection mediocre. Every panel had many small dents, shoddy body and paint work. It looked like some boy may have taken extensive practice with his Red Rider BB gun. The panels were solid, but the floors had been patched. Unfortunately, the carpet was glued into place and I didn't feel like crawling underneath. The frame was solid in the trailing arms. Chrome was all well beyond needing redone. The engine compartment needed a lot of TLC and parts. The heater lines were roughed together with copper tubing, rubber hose and steel valves. The person who worked on it must have been a handyman by trade. The fiber tunnel wasn't tunnelling very well. The carbs needed a little work, mainly adjusting. The engine, though sounding solid, had performance closer to an Isetta than a Triumph. The oil pressure gauge didn't work, so sho knows for sure.

The interior was ok, needing a couple panels and a few other things to make it right. The shifter was so stiff, it made travelling through the gears a real chore. The car sat for a number of years, so the shifter probably suffered from dried grease. Brakes were good, the tires fair.

I was looking for a winter project that would help finance the restoration of my TR3. Though this wasn't a terrible car, it just wasn't the one for me.

Just what IS excellent??

mrv8q
10-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Just what IS excellent??

Doug, just be glad you know what it <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">isn't</span></span> !

Geo Hahn
10-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Excellent -- Rare -- Easy Fix -- Ready for Restoration -- and my favorite: Concourse (presumably parked inside an airport).

Labels used on CL &amp; eBay and elsewhere are mostly useless.

DougF
10-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Low miles, recently restored, rust free(no metal left to rust), rebuilt engine, doesn't smoke, mostly complete, and my favorite to date from both husband and wife....new shift knob!

justin_mercier
10-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Excellent depends on the car to be honest. The rarer the car, the worse condition excellent is. What you describe might very well be excellent for a 1942 packard convertible, but not for a 70s triumph =)

Brosky
10-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Beauty, as well as quality of restoration, is in the eye of the beholder.